HONG KONG: Trinity buys UK tailor Gieves & Hawkes
Hong Kong based Trinity Ltd, part of the privately held Fung Group, has bought UK men's wear brand Gieves & Hawkes in a deal worth up to GBP92.5m (US$147.6m).
Trinity yesterday (11 April) said it will acquire the brand from a subsidiary of Wing Tai Properties, which has owned the company since 2002.
The deal will involve an initial payment of GBP32.5m, and then up to a further GBP60m in annual earn-out payments depending on its performance over the next 18 years.
Trinity has been a long-term licensee of Gieves & Hawkes in China, with more than 100 stores under its management. Trinity said the brand is its third-largest by revenue and that the acquisition will eliminate any uncertainty around the renewal of the current licence.
"We are very pleased to be adding Gieves & Hawkes to our stable of self-owned brands," said Trinity group managing director Wong Yat Ming.
"Gieves & Hawkes is renowned for its strong heritage in fine tailoring and dedication to quality, the combination of which gives the brand an immense appeal for discerning customers around the world and, most importantly, in fast growing luxury markets like China."
Trinity retails high-end and luxury international men's wear brands, operating over 500 retail outlets across Asia.
"Premium heritage brands like Gieves & Hawkes are very rare jewels in the market," added Ming. "The acquisition of Gieves & Hawkes is aligned with our strategy to own intellectual rights or take on long term licenses in high-end to luxury men's wear brands with a strong heritage.
"With this acquisition, Trinity can take further steps to enhance the value of the brand and grow its business internationally by leveraging on the solid foundation that Trinity has already built for Gieves & Hawkes across Asia."
Once the deal has been completed, Trinity plans to integrate the design and merchandising functions in London and Hong Kong, combine the supply chain in the UK and Greater China, accelerate growth in Greater China under one management, and develop a wholesale and licensing business globally outside greater China.
Gieves & Hawkes holds three Royal Warrants as suppliers to the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales.
Despite the increasing number of roll-outs of RFID item-level tagging by retail giants such as Walmart, JCPenney, Marks & Spencer and supply chain giant Li & Fung, the price of RFID inlays (the electr...
Li & Fung, the world's largest supplier of apparel and consumer goods, has stressed that growth through strategic acquisitions and the trend for outsourcing by retailers and brands will continue to dr...
A sourcing deal inked more than two years ago between Li & Fung and Wal-Mart Stores has been replaced by a new agreement that allows the global supply chain manager to offer a range of new services to...
Top stories on just-style this week include the Olympic Games failing to boost August retail sales in the UK, a look at just-style's latest management briefing on RFID technology and H&M calls for hig...
Core operating profits at consumer goods giant Li & Fung fell 22% despite a slight rise in turnover, as the Hong Kong-based company was hit by continued economic fragility in its main markets....
Clothing and footwear firms including Nike, Marks & Spencer, Levi Strauss and Walmart are among those backing a new tool designed to measure sustainability and environmental impact across the industry...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report