UK: TV show prompts comeback for shapewear
The UK shapewear market is accelerating on the back of endorsements on style makeover show 'Trinny and Susannah Undress...'
Exhibitors at the Harrogate Lingerie and Swimwear Exhibition this week told just-style that sales of items like roll-ons and corsets have benefited from increased television exposure and are now coming back into fashion.
Belgian legwear and shapewear firm Cette is capitalising on the trend by launching a range endorsed and attributed to Trinny and Susannah in the UK, which includes Magic Knickers, Shaping Tights and Tummy Flatteners.
"Our business is growing dramatically and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. The shapewear market is also growing as a percentage of the overall underwear market," Cette's UK director Nick Jackson told just-style at the event.
The ability of shapewear to "clinch", "lift" and "flatten" has invigorated the category in the US and is now promising to do the same across the Atlantic, with other companies like Spanx also looking to capitalise.
It marks a renaissance for the historical costume, which has been chronicled by iconic wearers ranging from Audrey Hepburn to Bridget Jones.
"This isn't just for ladies with lumps and bumps. It is for the ladies who want to look polished," said X Factor and GMTV stylist Faye Sawyer, speaking at the event.
"Every woman wants something like this in their wardrobe because there is always a time to use it."
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022