UK: TV show prompts comeback for shapewear
The UK shapewear market is accelerating on the back of endorsements on style makeover show 'Trinny and Susannah Undress...'
Exhibitors at the Harrogate Lingerie and Swimwear Exhibition this week told just-style that sales of items like roll-ons and corsets have benefited from increased television exposure and are now coming back into fashion.
Belgian legwear and shapewear firm Cette is capitalising on the trend by launching a range endorsed and attributed to Trinny and Susannah in the UK, which includes Magic Knickers, Shaping Tights and Tummy Flatteners.
"Our business is growing dramatically and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. The shapewear market is also growing as a percentage of the overall underwear market," Cette's UK director Nick Jackson told just-style at the event.
The ability of shapewear to "clinch", "lift" and "flatten" has invigorated the category in the US and is now promising to do the same across the Atlantic, with other companies like Spanx also looking to capitalise.
It marks a renaissance for the historical costume, which has been chronicled by iconic wearers ranging from Audrey Hepburn to Bridget Jones.
"This isn't just for ladies with lumps and bumps. It is for the ladies who want to look polished," said X Factor and GMTV stylist Faye Sawyer, speaking at the event.
"Every woman wants something like this in their wardrobe because there is always a time to use it."
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack