UK clothing price deflation slows in April
Clothing price deflation slowed to -7.2% in April
UK clothing prices continued on their downward trajectory in April, albeit at a slower rate than the month before, according to the latest figures.
The BRC-Nielsen Shop Price Index found clothing and footwear price deflation slowed to -7.2% year-on-year in April, after two consecutive months at -7.8%.
Clothing accessories, children’s and women’s clothing sub-categories continued to report deflation above the overall rate, while baby wear remained inflationary, booking a further rise in April.
On a month-on-month basis, clothing and footwear prices fell by 0.2% from the 0.3% drop in March.
Overall shop prices reported deflation for the 24th consecutive month, decelerating to 1.9% in April from 2.1% in March. Non-food deflation also decelerated - to 2.5% in April from 2.8% in March.
BRC director general Helen Dickinson said: "These trends help to illustrate how retail has helped the consumer keep the cost of living down in recent years."
Mike Watkins, head of retailer and business insight at Nielsen, added: "Shoppers are still seeing lower prices than this time last year and food prices have fallen for four consecutive months, with the supermarket price wars expected to continue.
However, he warned that the challenge for retailers is that, despite consumer confidence being back to pre-recession levels, many households are still cautious about spending, and for those with more disposable income, some appear to be spending a little more outside of retail.
"So we anticipate promotions continuing over the summer months to help the momentum in retail sales," he added.
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack