UK clothing prices remain deflationary
Clothing and footwear prices continued to fall in March
Deflation in UK clothing and footwear prices continued to weigh on overall prices in March, falling at the same pace they did in the previous month.
The BRC-Nielsen Shop Price Index found clothing and footwear price deflation remained at 7.8% for the second consecutive month, driven by clothing accessories, children’s and women's wear.
However, baby wear was the only category to report annual inflation in March. BRC said the good news for consumers and retailers alike was that the price of cotton was down 28% in the year to the end of the survey period (13 March).
On a month-on-month basis, clothing and footwear prices were down 0.3% after a 0.3% rise in February.
Overall shop prices reported deflation for the 23rd consecutive month, accelerating to 2.1% in March, from 1.7% in February. Non-food deflation also accelerated - to 2.8% from 2.5%.
BRC director general Helen Dickinson said: "Clothing and electricals continue to outshine by offering consumers eye-catching bargains.
"In fact, there’s evidence of plenty of promotions and price-cuts in non-food items which should help drive up sales at a time when retailers are turning their attention to the summer ranges."
Mike Watkins, head of retailer and business insight at Nielsen added: "For many high street fashion, home and outdoor retailers, lower prices are being backed up by attractive promotions which comes at good time as momentum builds in selling late spring and early summer ranges."
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack