UK clothing sales boosted by new lines in February
Clothing sales, the BRC said, received a boost in February
Despite being a notoriously slow month for retailers, sales of clothing in the UK received a boost in February, aided by the arrival of new collections in store.
According to the BRC-KPMG Retail Sales Monitor monthly report, UK retail sales climbed 1.7% year-on-year in February, while like-for-like sales edged up 0.2%.
Clothing sales, the BRC said, received a boost, with “some specific excitement” around swimwear, sandals and other holiday items as consumers began to think about their holidays.
David McCorquodale, head of retail at KPMG, believes a fall-off in the three-month average in non-food sales is a result of last year's Black Friday dropping out. He noted: “Retailers will be hoping that the arrival of spring can drive a more sustained upswing in spending as warmer temperatures encourage shoppers to splurge on new season outfits.”
Meanwhile, online sales of non-food products in the UK grew 8.3% in February versus a year earlier, when they rose 14.3%. This is close to the three-month average of 8.8%.
Helen Dickinson, director general of the British Retail Consortium, said: "As the figures show, online sales are still a crucial driver of the retail industry's continued success. Retailers will continue to look at these figures closely to see what combination of online and in store offering works best for their customers."
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020