UK consumers choose quality over price for back-to-school
Last year saw GBP842m spent on school uniforms
UK consumers are putting product quality ahead of low prices and convenience when it comes to shopping for back-to-school items, an analyst survey has revealed.
“Consumers are demanding uniforms that are durable and will last for the full school year,” said Greg Bromley, retail analyst at Conlumino. “As disposable incomes continue to recover, consumers are likely to be willing to spend slightly more on school uniform if it will last longer and represents better value for money.”
Total retail spend on Back to School is forecast to reach GBP1.45bn (US$2.29bn) in 2015, 1.4% more than last year (GBP1.43bn) and 2.7% more than 2013 (GBP1.41bn), according to Conlumino.
Last year saw GBP842m spent on school uniforms, and GBP225m spent on sportswear and sports equipment.
“While purchase volumes are unlikely to pick up massively, parents may start to splash out more on Back to School purchasing – this might mean buying their child some extra stationery or a new pair of football boots – purchases that previously would have been postponed” Bromley says.
“Consumers feeling the benefit from wider improvements in the economy should feel more comfortable in making Back to School purchases this year, for what is typically a very expensive time of year for parents.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- 3D CAD comes of age
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack