UK fashion sales hit in "difficult" May
May proved to be a "difficult" month for UK high street sales
UK fashion sales were hit particularly hard in what proved to be a "difficult" May, as a lack of discounting meant retailers were unable to translate lower footfall levels into sales.
According to BDO's monthly High Street Sales Tracker, like-for-like sales at fashion retailers fell 1.5% year-on-year in May, compared to a 0.7% rise in the same month a year ago. It comes after the category saw a return to positive territory in April, when fashion sales increased 2%.
Overall like-for-like sales (excluding non-store sales) edged down 0.9% during the four weeks to 31 May, with footfall down again. BDO described it as a "disappointing" result given the economy entered deflation and consumers’ supposed higher disposable income.
Non-store sales increased 24.8% year-on-year, down from growth of 34.4% last year.
"The uncertainty around the election outcome lasted right up until the exit polls, but we didn’t see much evidence of pent up consumer demand once the results were declared," said Sophie Bevan, head of retail and wholesale at BDO.
"With decreasing footfalls, the retail environment remains particularly challenging and retailers will have to continue to focus on all aspects including customer service and getting their products right to see growth this summer whilst also focussing on their own operating models to protect margins."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022