USA: UK retail prices fall
Shop prices have fallen again in Britain's shops, which is good news for consumers but bad news for retailers. According to the British Retail Consortium, shop prices fell for the 13th consecutive month in May and were 1.1% lower than May last year. "Prices have shown a consistent downward trend for more than a year now," said Mark Bradshaw, the BRC acting director general. "Whilst deflation in the high street is great news for customers, retailers are seeing margins squeezed at the same time as pressure is applied to their operating costs," he said. The organisation said that food prices fell slightly faster than non-food goods due to lower prices of produce, particularly the price of tomatoes. But fish prices rose because of supply difficulties.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts