US: Under Armour sued over use of G Defy name
Sportswear brand Under Armour is being sued by footwear brand Gravity Defyer over its use of the G Defy name on its footwear.
Gravity Defyer is challenging Under Armour's use of the G Defy name being used for "speciality shoes with soles of thin, lightweight, full-length, Micro G foam that turns cushioned landings into explosive takeoffs".
The lawsuit, filed in the Central District of California, accuses Under Armour of inappropriately trading on Gravity Defyer's trademark to draw attention to its product.
The lawsuit, which was filed in the district court of Maryland in Baltimore, said Nike launched an advertising campaign for its performance apparel, footwear, accessories and sporting goods last year, which repeatedly uses the phrase "I Will".
Yet Under Armour claims Nike's use of the phrase imitates its "I Will" trademark, which is used for the same types of products.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The US trade deficit in footwear rose 6% to $22.9bn last year on the back of a sizable increase in imports and a marginal drop in exports, an annual trade report has shown....
Outdoor clothing company Woolrich has hired footwear licensing group Portland Product Werks (PPW) to launch its debut footwear collection....
Former Levi Strauss & Co executive Gary Harvey has been named creative director of upscale denim brand True Religion....
The global footwear market is expected to be worth US$211.5bn in 2018, with growth driven by Asia Pacific and Europe, according to new research....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report