SOUTH AFRICA: Union welcomes agreement on apparel wages
South Africa's textile workers union has welcomed a new agreement by the country's government that sets a minimum wage for workers and imposes penalties for non-compliance.
The agreement, passed by Minister of Labour Mildred Oliphant, became effective this week and means that every clothing worker in South Africa can enjoy the protection of legislated minimum terms and conditions of employment, particularly up-to-date compulsorily guaranteed minimum wage levels. These were negotiated under the auspices of the National Bargaining Council for the Clothing Manufacturing Industry of South Africa.
The new agreement fixes the technical defects which caused the Pietermaritzburg High Court last year to set aside the 2010 clothing industry wage agreement.
The Southern African Clothing and Textile Workers' Union (SACTWU) said the agreement was a "ground-breaking victory".
"It is a solid indication that our current government cares about protecting the bargaining council-negotiated conditions of employment rights of clothing workers. This is a significant act of compassion for tens of thousands of workers in vulnerable industries, especially in light of the destructive onslaught against our industry wage agreements by organisations such as the Free Market Foundation."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details