CAMBODIA: Unions plan day of action for arrested workers
International labour organisations Industriall Global Union, UNI Global Union and ITUC are seeking international support for a day of action in support of garment workers arrested during recent strikes in Cambodia.
The groups are calling on people to demonstrate outside Cambodian embassies and deliver protest letters to the Ambassador, condemning the violence associated with recent garment worker strikes and the imprisonment of 23 workers.
The groups said the day of action to “Free the 23” was planned for next Monday, 10 February – the day before a scheduled court hearing for the workers in Cambodia.
The protestors were arrested during strike action on 2 and 3 January, during which four workers were killed and 39 injured when police opened fire on demonstrators.
The day of action follows the sending of an open letter by the unions and 30 brands including Walmart, Nike and H&M to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen, calling for a thorough investigation of the violence and the establishment of an inclusive process to determine a new minimum wage.
The violence a month ago followed a succession of strikes from garment workers seeking to double the industry’s current minimum wage to US$160 a month.
NIKE, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ......
Nike believes that footwear manufactured using its Flyknit fabric, which was initially launched in 2012, will be one of its growth drivers going forward. Initially launched in running footwear, Nike h...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth act......
Nike is expected to maintain its position as the most important sports brand in Chile. Nike de Chile’s strategy is to continue organising sports events – such as “Nike 10K” or “Nike 300K” – aimed at i...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details