CAMBODIA: Unions plan day of action for arrested workers
International labour organisations Industriall Global Union, UNI Global Union and ITUC are seeking international support for a day of action in support of garment workers arrested during recent strikes in Cambodia.
The groups are calling on people to demonstrate outside Cambodian embassies and deliver protest letters to the Ambassador, condemning the violence associated with recent garment worker strikes and the imprisonment of 23 workers.
The groups said the day of action to “Free the 23” was planned for next Monday, 10 February – the day before a scheduled court hearing for the workers in Cambodia.
The protestors were arrested during strike action on 2 and 3 January, during which four workers were killed and 39 injured when police opened fire on demonstrators.
The day of action follows the sending of an open letter by the unions and 30 brands including Walmart, Nike and H&M to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen, calling for a thorough investigation of the violence and the establishment of an inclusive process to determine a new minimum wage.
The violence a month ago followed a succession of strikes from garment workers seeking to double the industry’s current minimum wage to US$160 a month.
Next's head of men's wear design, Simon Hawksworth, is to join UK retailer Marks & Spencer in the same role....
Strong international sales, fuelled by acquisitions, helped apparel group Hanesbrands to nearly treble fourth-quarter profit on a double-digit sales increase....
US textile and apparel manufacturing companies are calling on Congress to pass the Miscellaneous Tariff Bill (MTB), which they say would eliminate or reduce import duties on products not available in ...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack