CAMBODIA: Unions plan day of action for arrested workers
International labour organisations Industriall Global Union, UNI Global Union and ITUC are seeking international support for a day of action in support of garment workers arrested during recent strikes in Cambodia.
The groups are calling on people to demonstrate outside Cambodian embassies and deliver protest letters to the Ambassador, condemning the violence associated with recent garment worker strikes and the imprisonment of 23 workers.
The groups said the day of action to “Free the 23” was planned for next Monday, 10 February – the day before a scheduled court hearing for the workers in Cambodia.
The protestors were arrested during strike action on 2 and 3 January, during which four workers were killed and 39 injured when police opened fire on demonstrators.
The day of action follows the sending of an open letter by the unions and 30 brands including Walmart, Nike and H&M to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen, calling for a thorough investigation of the violence and the establishment of an inclusive process to determine a new minimum wage.
The violence a month ago followed a succession of strikes from garment workers seeking to double the industry’s current minimum wage to US$160 a month.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Nike believes that footwear manufactured using its Flyknit fabric, which was initially launched in 2012, will be one of its growth drivers going forward. Initially launched in running footwear, Nike h...
Nike Philippines Inc is expected to continuously hold running events such as the “Nike We Run Manila” to sustain interest in the sport among consumers although it is predicted to focus on other sports...
Nike Turkiye AS endorses various sports, such as the Nike Run Istanbul and Nike Turkey Made by Movement campaigns in 2013. Nike used Nike Run Istanbul to get a non-running nation thinking and talking ...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019