INDONESIA: Unions to push for 30% minimum wage hike
Indonesian trade unions are planning to push for a 30% hike in the minimum wage from 2015, after organising a mass rally last week where up to 30,000 workers are said to have backed calls for better pay and benefits.
Among their demands are continued increases in minimum wages, social security reform, and a limit on outsourcing.
Wages in Indonesia rose by an average of 19% from the beginning of the year, although the increase was less than the 50% that labour unions had been seeking.
In the capital Jakarta and the surrounding region, the minimum wage rose 11% from IDR2.2m (US$191.5) to IDR2.44m (US$212.3) per month. Other provinces across the country also raised wages, ranging from 10% to 45%.
But according to the IndustriAll global union, more than 10m people still do not have access to universal health insurance promised by the government, and there are concerns about the pension reform due to come into force on 1 July 2015.
"Last year, we saw increasing minimum wages in many countries around Asia," said IndustriAll secretary general Jyrki Raina.
"Unions in Bangladesh managed to get a 77% increase in 2013, and the minimum wage in China is already higher than in Indonesia. It is high time that Indonesian workers and their families get their share of the profits they actually help create."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- US cotton production set to decline
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details