JAPAN: Uniqlo Diversifies Apparel Production Bases
The retail giant has traditionally outsourced production to about 60 factories in China, Thailand and Vietnam but said Tuesday it has diversified its production base in a bid to produce clothing closer to the UK.
The operator of more than 600 stores added it also needed to alter its production base due to quotas on goods made in China and may look for a Tunisian factory to make apparel for the European market.
Uniqlo enjoyed phenomenal sales growth in the late 90's as shoppers snapped up its colourful styles at low prices in their droves.
But that growth failed to last and it recently posted a 30 per cent slide in December same-store sales and only yesterday said it was scaling back its UK expansion plans due to rising costs.
Companies: Fast Retailing Co Ltd
Japanese retailer Fast Retailing is to buy French apparel firm Petit Vehicule, owner of the Princesse tam.tam brand and the second-largest lingerie chain in France....
Fast Retailing Co Ltd - which operates the Uniqlo casual clothing chain - has reported a 12.9 per cent sales rise to JPY383.97 billion for the year ended in August, falling short of its target revenue...
Casual clothing giant Fast Retailing Co has announced plans to spend between JPY300 billion and JPY400bn on mergers and acquisitions in the next three years....
Japanese company Fast Retailing Co says it will open its first three stores in South Korea on 2 September through joint venture FRL Korea Co....
Fast Retailing Co, operator of the Uniqlo casual clothing chain, has reported a 4.3 per cent drop in net profit for the nine-month period ended May 2005 due to slow sales and higher expenses....
Retail group Fast Retailing Co is likely to re-appoint Tadashi Yanai as president of the company from September 2005 at the earliest, Japanese News Digest reported....
Store chain giant Fast Retailing Co has announced a 13.7 per cent year-on-year same-store sales rise, on good sales of Body Tech inner sportswear and button-down shirts....
Casual clothing chain Uniqlo has revealed plans to expand into the US with three New Jersey stores this autumn....
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack