JAPAN: Uniqlo eyes summer sales boost from new tech lines
Japanese casual clothing chain Uniqlo is hoping it can replicate the winter success of its Heattech line of heat-retaining thermal underwear with new products that are being lined up for summer.
Its Silky Dry and Sarafine lines of summer quick-dry innerwear make "the hot, sticky weather of summer comfortable" the retailer says, by wicking away moisture to keep wearers cool and comfortable under their clothes.
For men, the Silky Dry innerwear feels like "wearing nothing," with superfine fibres jointly developed with Toray giving a second-skin fit that rapidly wicks away moisture. The fibres are anti-odour and anti-bacterial too.
Sarafine is described as "air-conditioned" women's innerwear, with a high-tech fabric that combines Asahi Kasei's 'Cupra' breathable fibres with 'tripot' cross-section nylon from Toray Industries.
Cool clothing is big business in Japan after the environment ministry launched a country-wide 'Cool Biz' campaign to cut carbon dioxide output by banning ties and jackets from the office so air conditioning can be switched off.
The campaign is attributed to higher sales of casual, light summer wear for men in Japan's cities.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Looking at performance on a global market positioning basis, rather than geography, the last two years have been challenging for all global textile and clothing producers, as demand waned and customer...
If any country was likely to be vulnerable to a collapse in sales from a global recession it was export-oriented China. The fact remains, however, that China's textile and clothing industry is still i...
Japanese retailer Uniqlo saw its domestic sales cool last quarter, but international advancements make up for it. ...
Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing Co today (1 October) opened the first global flagship store of its Uniqlo casual clothing chain in Japan....
Fast Retailing Co has merged its large array of shoe brands under its Uniqlo umbrella aiming to make footwear the company's second-largest revenue source after apparel....
The hottest summer on record in Japan has wilted sales of autumn merchandise at the Uniqlo casual clothing chain, its owner Fast Retailing said today (2 September)....
Japanese fashion group Fast Retailing will open its first domestic Uniqlo flagship store in Osaka on 1 October. ...
Despite shrugging off the impact of economic turbulence to post a 5% rise in the value of its clothing and footwear market in 2009, the sector in Russia is expected to struggle this year new research ...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective