JAPAN: Uniqlo same-store sales down 2.4% in September
A slow start to the autumn and winter season pushed Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo to a 2.4% fall in September same-store sales.
Own store sales edged up 0.4%, while total sales, including online, increased 0.7%, the company said today (2 October).
The retailer said same-store sales declined year-on-year as lingering heat at the end of the month "stifled sales of autumn/winter clothing".
Uniqlo opened five stores and closed five during September.
Last month, parent company Fast Retailing revealed it would continue to expand its Uniqlo brand in China, despite anti-Japanese demonstrations which resulted in the closure of 42 stores in the country.
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
Apparel sales in the Asia Pacific region are continuing on a golden growth trajectory despite a slowdown in China. Domestic brands are continuing to hold their own, and foreign brands intent on making...
Casual clothing retailer Uniqlo has booked a 9.6% increase in Japanese same-store sales in February, driven by strong sales of winter apparel....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019