JAPAN: Uniqlo still eyeing US acquisition – paper
"It is very difficult for us to go to the US and be successful," Yanai told The Financial Times in an interview. "We are looking to buy a US company and they would help us build a platform."
He added that he was encouraged by the strong performance of Uniqlo's New York store, and still believed there was "enormous potential" in the US.
Meanwhile, Uniqlo's international expansion continues with the opening of a flagship store in London's Oxford Street tomorrow (7 November) and another outlet next month in Paris' La Défense business district.
Fast Retailing wants to double global sales in the next three years in a programme of international expansion both in Western markets and in China and India. It also wants to overtake retail rivals such as Spain's Zara and Sweden's Hennes & Mauritz in the process.
However, last month Fast Retailing posted a 21.4% decline in full-year net profit to JPY31.7bn (US$276m), although net sales for the 12 months ended 31 August were up 17% to JPY525.2bn.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Fast Retailing Co today (14 December) opens its first Uniqlo brand casualwear store in France, making this the fifth overseas market for the firm following the UK, China, South Korea and the US. The J...
Fashion retailer Comptoir des Cotonniers has implemented new point-of-sale software that allows it to keep track of sales and stock levels in real time....
Footwear operator Wolverine World Wide has appointed The Warnaco Group's CEO, Joseph R Gromek, to its board....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' March 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
A significant increase in first-half profits has prompted Fast Retailing to increase its full-year sales and income forecasts....
Fast Retailing is to open its first Uniqlo casual clothing store in Singapore next year through a joint venture with Wing Tai Retail Pte Ltd....
Icelandic investment group Baugur has completed its restructuring as a pure retail investor, amassing a war chest to target acquisition opportunities....
Retailer Uniqlo's Japanese stores enjoyed a buoyant March, with monthly sales up nearly 14% on a year ago....
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022