AUSTRALIA: Unnamed party drops out of Billabong bid
Billabong International today (20 September) said TPG Capital is the only firm still considering a possible takeover bid for the Australian surf and skatewear retailer after a second, unnamed, party pulled out.
Earlier this month Billabong said it had received a rival takeover approach matching the A$1.45 a share bid received from private equity firm TPG Capital in July.
But that unnamed party - rumoured to have been Bain Capital - has now "withdrawn from the formal process," Billabong revealed today, while TPG's due diligence is "continuing."
Billabong, whose brands include its namesake line as well as RCVA, Element and DaKine, added that while the formal sale process continues, there are no guarantees that a deal will be reached.
The retailer swung to a full-year loss at the end of August, recording a loss of $275.6m in the year ended 30 June, against a profit of $119m the year before. The company's results were hit by more than $330m worth of costs.
The most read stories on just-style this week include a look at how sourcing is going to be in 2013, a spotlight on why buyer interest in Billabong has not yet turned into a deal, and M&S extending it...
Australian surfwear brand Billabong has received a rival bid for the brand from VF Corp and private equity firm Altamont Capital Partners, which matches an offer from US boss Paul Naude and Sycamore P...
Australian surfwear brand Billabong has appointed Peter Myers as group chief financial officer, replacing Craig White who resigned last month....
Australian surfwear brand Billabong has opened its books to a consortium comprising the company's former head of its Americas business. ...
Australian surfwear brand Billabong today (19 December) confirmed details of a AUD524m buyout bid - but shares fell 13.3% after the company issued another profit warning....
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Bangladesh: Raising the bar on apparel exports?
- Bangladesh: The business benefits of compliance
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Bangladesh factory improvements “will take years”
- Bangladesh knitting worker killed by faulty lift
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Tommy Hilfiger launches solar-powered jacket