US: Urban Outfitters brand weakness set to continue
- Q4 profit up 7.4% to US$89m
- Sales increase 6% to $905.9m
- Comparable store sales climb 1%
Weakness at Urban Outfitters' namesake brand is likely to continue into the first quarter for the lifestyle retailer, according to analysts.
The analysts gave their views after the company issued fourth-quarter numbers that revealed a 7.4% rise in net profit to US$89m, and a 6% sales increase to $905.9m. Comparable store sales increased 20% at Free People and 10% at Anthropologie, but declined 9% at Urban Outfitters.
CEO Richard Hayne said: "Looking forward, customer reaction to the new spring fashion offerings at our Anthropologie and Free People brands have been strong, but given the continued challenges facing the Urban Outfitters brand, we remain very cautious about Urban Outfitter's first quarter performance."
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said the negative comparable store sales trend at the group's namesake brand was worse than expected.
Although comparable store sales for the first quarter will "likely improve" in April with the Easter shift and warmer weather, Anderson says she doesn't expect this to get Urban Outfitters "back on track" for the next quarter.
Meanwhile, Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe was slightly more upbeat. "Despite what we believe will likely be a somewhat challenging first-quarter, driven by weakness at the Urban Outfitters brand, we remain positive on the long term outlook for the company."
This report provides information on the latest developments in: fabrics for performance apparel; flame resistant (FR) protective apparel; insulation products; protective apparel; sportswear; wearable ...
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global textile and apparel industry...
The Intimate Apparel market in the US comprises of intimate apparel for both men and women. Intimate apparel products include underwear, bra, panty, sleepwear, daywear, and shapewear....
Vital industry-specific data including metrics, benchmarks, historic numbers, growth rates and forecasts that will save countless hours of research....
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- Central America must make better use of DR-CAFTA
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- Is China really going through a slump?
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- H&M, Inditex and Nike rated supply chain leaders
- Adidas Speedfactory eyes large-scale production
- BHS supplier Courtaulds Brands in administration