US: Urban Outfitters brand weakness set to continue
- Q4 profit up 7.4% to US$89m
- Sales increase 6% to $905.9m
- Comparable store sales climb 1%
Weakness at Urban Outfitters' namesake brand is likely to continue into the first quarter for the lifestyle retailer, according to analysts.
The analysts gave their views after the company issued fourth-quarter numbers that revealed a 7.4% rise in net profit to US$89m, and a 6% sales increase to $905.9m. Comparable store sales increased 20% at Free People and 10% at Anthropologie, but declined 9% at Urban Outfitters.
CEO Richard Hayne said: "Looking forward, customer reaction to the new spring fashion offerings at our Anthropologie and Free People brands have been strong, but given the continued challenges facing the Urban Outfitters brand, we remain very cautious about Urban Outfitter's first quarter performance."
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said the negative comparable store sales trend at the group's namesake brand was worse than expected.
Although comparable store sales for the first quarter will "likely improve" in April with the Easter shift and warmer weather, Anderson says she doesn't expect this to get Urban Outfitters "back on track" for the next quarter.
Meanwhile, Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe was slightly more upbeat. "Despite what we believe will likely be a somewhat challenging first-quarter, driven by weakness at the Urban Outfitters brand, we remain positive on the long term outlook for the company."
Urban Outfitters, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service o...
Synopsis Canadean's "Urban Outfitters, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a ...
This report provides information on the latest developments in: fabrics for performance apparel; flame resistant (FR) protective apparel; insulation products; protective apparel; sportswear; wearable ...
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global textile and apparel industry...
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Vietnam factories face fire safety challenge
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Triumph recalls 22,000 bras for underwire fault
- Investigation uncovers China's dog leather trade
- Wage theft of migrants in Thai apparel industry
- Vietnam “promise” for Italy textile machinery