US: Urban Outfitters brand weakness set to continue
- Q4 profit up 7.4% to US$89m
- Sales increase 6% to $905.9m
- Comparable store sales climb 1%
Weakness at Urban Outfitters' namesake brand is likely to continue into the first quarter for the lifestyle retailer, according to analysts.
The analysts gave their views after the company issued fourth-quarter numbers that revealed a 7.4% rise in net profit to US$89m, and a 6% sales increase to $905.9m. Comparable store sales increased 20% at Free People and 10% at Anthropologie, but declined 9% at Urban Outfitters.
CEO Richard Hayne said: "Looking forward, customer reaction to the new spring fashion offerings at our Anthropologie and Free People brands have been strong, but given the continued challenges facing the Urban Outfitters brand, we remain very cautious about Urban Outfitter's first quarter performance."
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said the negative comparable store sales trend at the group's namesake brand was worse than expected.
Although comparable store sales for the first quarter will "likely improve" in April with the Easter shift and warmer weather, Anderson says she doesn't expect this to get Urban Outfitters "back on track" for the next quarter.
Meanwhile, Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe was slightly more upbeat. "Despite what we believe will likely be a somewhat challenging first-quarter, driven by weakness at the Urban Outfitters brand, we remain positive on the long term outlook for the company."
Synopsis Canadean's "Urban Outfitters, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a ...
The Urban Outfitters brand is "on the mend", analysts have said, after the lifestyle retailer revealed second-quarter earnings above consensus estimates and an increase in sales....
This report provides information on the latest developments in: fabrics for performance apparel; flame resistant (FR) protective apparel; insulation products; protective apparel; sportswear; wearable ...
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- H&M to work with ILO on sustainable supply chains
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Clothing Manufacturers (Global) - Industry Report