US: Urban Outfitters cautions on Q1 despite earnings growth
- Q4 net earnings up 7.5%
- Sales climb 6%
- Cautions on Q1 performance
Lifestyle retailer Urban Outfitters has cautioned on its current quarter, despite booking an increase in fourth-quarter earnings.
The company behind the Anthropologie and Free People brands recorded earnings of US$88.7m in the three months to the end of January, an increase of 7.5% on earnings of $82.5m last year.
Total net sales were up 6% over the same quarter last year to a "record" $906m. Comparable retail segment sales edged up 1%.
Comparable sales increased 20% at Free People and 10% at Anthropologie. However, comparable sales at the group's Urban Outfitters chain dropped 9% as poor weather conditions hit traffic numbers.
CEO Richard Hayne said "continued challenges" facing the Urban Outfitters brand means the company remains "very cautious" about its first-quarter performance.
The company's share price was down 0.13% to $37.51 in after hours trading yesterday.
FBR & Co analyst Susan Anderson said weather and product issues are likely to continue to weigh on the Urban Outfitters segment in the first quarter.
However, she added: "We believe Anthro and Free People continue to post positive comps (likely +8% and +18%, respectively). We think an Urban Outfitters fix is a late-2014/2015 story, but management is taking the right steps now to enact a turnaround (restructuring, elevating the brand to focus on its core 18-28 demographic, increasing quality).
"Although Urban Outfitters will likely weigh on results near term, we continue to believe URBN offers a compelling long-term value proposition with growth via FP, e-commerce, international, differentiated product, strong omni-channel capabilities, and strong margins."
The Intimate Apparel market in the US comprises of intimate apparel for both men and women. Intimate apparel products include underwear, bra, panty, sleepwear, daywear, and shapewear....
Vital industry-specific data including metrics, benchmarks, historic numbers, growth rates and forecasts that will save countless hours of research....
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis