US: Urban Outfitters lands in hot water over T-shirt
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has described a T-shirt associated with the yellow Star of David symbol, made by teen fashion retailer Urban Outfitters, as a new low.
In a letter to Urban Outfitters chairman, president and CEO Richard Hayne, ADL regional director Barry Morrison said the product "...represents a new low".
Morrison said: "We find this use of symbolism to be extremely distasteful and offensive, and are outraged that your company would make this product available to your customers."
The ADL said it has "communicated" with Urban Outfitters over the years regarding projects that "tread on the feelings and reinforced stereotypes of various groups".
The League demanded an immediate apology from the company, asking it to stop selling the product and urged Urban Outfitters to meet with League representatives.
On its website, the ADL, which was founded in 1913 said it "fights anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry in the US and abroad".
Urban Outfitters has not yet responded to requests for comment.
The BRIC countries are far from being the only emerging market suppliers for the global apparel sector - and a knot of competitors such as Bangladesh and Vietnam have long been vying for business. But...
Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters has expanded into Japan through a distribution agreement with apparel firm World Co. ...
Men's wear manufacturer Haggar Clothing Co has appointed Tony Anzovino as vice president of sourcing as it positions itself for further growth....
Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters recorded an 8% increase in net profit in the three months to 31 July, boosted by a strong increase in direct to consumer sales....
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Lesotho risks garment job losses if AGOA lapses
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019