US: Urban Outfitters posts Q3 profit after sales rise
- Q3 profit up 17% to $60m
- Sales rose 14% to $693
- Gross margin rate increased 222 basis points
Teen fashion retailer Urban Outfitters has posted a 17% rise in third-quarter net profit thanks to improved margins and a reduction in markdowns.
Net income reached US$60m over the three months to 31 October compared to $51m last year. Income from operations increased 27.5% to $93.5m.
Net sales rose 14% to $693m, while comparable store sales edged down 1%. Direct-to-consumer sales jumped 36% and wholesale sales grew 7%. Comparable sales at its retail division were up 8% driven by gains within its Free People, Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie brands.
Gross profit rate improved 222 basis points due to a reduction in the number of markdowns.
"Favourable customer response to our product offerings and better marketing resulted in record third quarter sales and significant margin improvement," said CEO Richard Hayne.
"We see this trend continuing into the fourth quarter which bodes well for our holiday season."
Retailer Urban Outfitters to use the new StoreTrac software package from PCSTrac to provide a store-level snapshot of shipments....
Retailer Urban Outfitters more than doubled its fourth quarter net profit, thanks to surges in direct-to-consumer sales and wholesale revenues....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam