US: Urban Outfitters Q1 profit falls on weaker margins
- Q1 net income fell 12% to $34m from $38.6m
- Total sales rose 9% to a record $569m from $524m
- Gross margin fell to 35.6% from 36.9%
Retailer Urban Outfitters Inc has posed a 12% drop in first-quarter profit after the cost of opening new stories and higher markdowns on a few women's apparel lines offset a rise in sales.
The company, which operates the Anthropologie, Free People and Urban Outfitters brands, said comparable store sales fell 1% in the three months to 30 April.
But including the direct-to-consumer channels saw comparable retail segment sales rise by 2% to $537.7m. Gains of 2% to $61.7m at Free People and a rise of 6% to $266.4m at Urban Outfitters offset a 2% fall to $235.1m at Anthropologie.
Direct-to-consumer comparable net sales increased 15% to $117.1m and wholesale revenues were also up by 2% at $31.2m.
The company's CEO Richard Hayne said the record first quarter sales "were driven in part by positive regular price 'comp' sales."
He added: "We are encouraged by the customer response to the steady progress our brands have made in creative and product execution."
Gross margin fell to 35.6% from 36.9% with the cost of opening new stores and slightly higher markdowns on a few women's apparel categories across all brands contributing to the decline.
The BRIC countries are far from being the only emerging market suppliers for the global apparel sector - and a knot of competitors such as Bangladesh and Vietnam have long been vying for business. But...
Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters has expanded into Japan through a distribution agreement with apparel firm World Co. ...
Men's wear manufacturer Haggar Clothing Co has appointed Tony Anzovino as vice president of sourcing as it positions itself for further growth....
Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters recorded an 8% increase in net profit in the three months to 31 July, boosted by a strong increase in direct to consumer sales....
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Gap deepens social and environmental efforts
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Syrian refugee children found in Turkish factories
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Key Bangladesh safety issues still not fixed
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024