US: Urban Outfitters Q2 profit up 8%
- Q2 net profit up 8% to US$61.3m
- Net sales up 11% to $676m
- Comparable sales up 4%, but store comps down 1%
Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters recorded an 8% increase in net profit in the three months to 31 July, boosted by a strong increase in direct to consumer sales.
The US company said sales had risen by 11% in the second quarter, with total comparable sales up 4%, but comparable store sales edging down 1%.
Urban Outfitters’ Free People retail chain posted a comps increase of 12%, and Urban Outfitters was up 6%, but Anthropologie was flat.
Meanwhile, direct to consumer sales increased by 22% and wholesale revenues were up 17%.
Company CEO Richard Hayne said he was delighted with the results and added: “As we head into the second half of the year, we plan for gradual year-over-year improvement in our business, along with further tightening of our store inventories.”
From toxic T-shirts to virtual fitting rooms, defamatory garments and compostable shoes, the clothing and textiles industry in 2012 was anything but dull....
Faced with continuing challenging trading conditions in 2012, retailers responded with a number of different strategies to try to grow their businesses. International expansion, new and larger format ...
US fashion retailer Urban Outfitters has booked a 17% increase in fourth-quarter sales on the back of new store growth and improved merchandise....
US fashion retailer Urban Outfitters has reported a 15% rise in holiday sales thanks to gains across all of its brands, along with improved inventory management....
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- US West Coast port contract reached
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide