US: Urban Outfitters Q2 profit up 8%
- Q2 net profit up 8% to US$61.3m
- Net sales up 11% to $676m
- Comparable sales up 4%, but store comps down 1%
Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters recorded an 8% increase in net profit in the three months to 31 July, boosted by a strong increase in direct to consumer sales.
The US company said sales had risen by 11% in the second quarter, with total comparable sales up 4%, but comparable store sales edging down 1%.
Urban Outfitters’ Free People retail chain posted a comps increase of 12%, and Urban Outfitters was up 6%, but Anthropologie was flat.
Meanwhile, direct to consumer sales increased by 22% and wholesale revenues were up 17%.
Company CEO Richard Hayne said he was delighted with the results and added: “As we head into the second half of the year, we plan for gradual year-over-year improvement in our business, along with further tightening of our store inventories.”
From toxic T-shirts to virtual fitting rooms, defamatory garments and compostable shoes, the clothing and textiles industry in 2012 was anything but dull....
Faced with continuing challenging trading conditions in 2012, retailers responded with a number of different strategies to try to grow their businesses. International expansion, new and larger format ...
US fashion retailer Urban Outfitters has booked a 17% increase in fourth-quarter sales on the back of new store growth and improved merchandise....
US fashion retailer Urban Outfitters has reported a 15% rise in holiday sales thanks to gains across all of its brands, along with improved inventory management....
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- EU relaxes origin rules on Jordan clothing exports
- US Q2 in brief - Sears, Burlington, Tilly's
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras