US: Urban Outfitters Q3 profit falls on higher markdowns
- Q3 net income down 30.6% to US$50.7m
- Gross margin fell 571 basis points to 35.4%
- Sales increased 6% over the quarter to $610m
Retailer Urban Outfitters has seen its third-quarter profit fall 30.6% on the back of increased markdowns in its Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters stores.
The company yesterday (14 November) booked a net income of US$50.7m for the three months to 31 October. Gross margin fell 571 basis points to 35.4%, due to increased markdowns to clear slow moving women's apparel inventory at Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters.
Sales increased 6% over the quarter to $610m, with comparable-retail sales, which include direct-to-consumer channels, falling 3%. Comparable-store sales were down 7% over the quarter. Comparable retail net sales were up 14% at Free People, flat at Urban outfitters and fell 7% at Anthropologie.
"We have made progress in many categories during the quarter," said CEO Glen Senk. "We anticipate additional improvements through continued product focus, aggressive inventory management and the organisation changes we announced last week."
Last week, the company announced a series of executive changes, with new leadership at its Anthropologie, Terrain and Urban Outfitters brands.
A controversial T-shirt that appeared on the Urban Outfitters' website was an early prototype and should not have been displayed, Danish clothing firm Wood Wood has told The Anti-Defamation League (AD...
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has described a T-shirt associated with the yellow Star of David symbol, made by teen fashion retailer Urban Outfitters, as a new low....
US clothing retailer Hot Topic has appointed John Kyees to its board of directors and said he will serve as a member of its audit committee....
Teen fashion retailer Urban Outfitters Inc has promoted Frank Conforti as chief financial officer, following the resignation of Eric Artz....
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory