US: Urban Outfitters sued in Navajo trademark suit
The Navajo Native American tribe is suing clothing chain Urban Outfitters, accusing it of trademark violations for using the tribe's name on its clothing products.
The suit, filed by the Navajo Nation in the US District Court in New Mexico, claims Urban Outfitters has been selling more than 20 products under the "Navajo" or "Navaho" names since 2009, including clothing, underwear and flasks.
Following a cease and desist letter late last year, Urban Outfitters removed the word "Navajo" from product names on its website, replacing it with "Printed".
The suit claims that although the retailer said it had stopped using the "Navajo" and "Navaho" names on its products, they were still available in its retail stores and the word "Navajo" continued to appear on receipts.
It has also continued to sell products with the "Navajo" name and mark through its Free People banner, the suit alleges.
The Navaho Nation is seeking three-times all profits generated from the marketing and sale of its "Navajo" lines, as well as $1,000 per item per day for each type of product it has offered for sale, as well as damages and attorney's fees.
Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters recorded an 8% increase in net profit in the three months to 31 July, boosted by a strong increase in direct to consumer sales....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015