US: Urban Outfitters sued in Navajo trademark suit
The Navajo Native American tribe is suing clothing chain Urban Outfitters, accusing it of trademark violations for using the tribe's name on its clothing products.
The suit, filed by the Navajo Nation in the US District Court in New Mexico, claims Urban Outfitters has been selling more than 20 products under the "Navajo" or "Navaho" names since 2009, including clothing, underwear and flasks.
Following a cease and desist letter late last year, Urban Outfitters removed the word "Navajo" from product names on its website, replacing it with "Printed".
The suit claims that although the retailer said it had stopped using the "Navajo" and "Navaho" names on its products, they were still available in its retail stores and the word "Navajo" continued to appear on receipts.
It has also continued to sell products with the "Navajo" name and mark through its Free People banner, the suit alleges.
The Navaho Nation is seeking three-times all profits generated from the marketing and sale of its "Navajo" lines, as well as $1,000 per item per day for each type of product it has offered for sale, as well as damages and attorney's fees.
Fashion retailer Urban Outfitters recorded an 8% increase in net profit in the three months to 31 July, boosted by a strong increase in direct to consumer sales....
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- US West Coast port contract reached
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide