US: Urban Outfitters upbeat despite Q1 profit dip
- Q1 profit down 27% to US$39m
- Net sales up 9% to $524m
- CEO anticipates gradual improvements this year
Retailer Urban Outfitters recorded a 27% cut to first quarter profits, but voiced confidence in the company’s future after rises in direct-to-consumer and wholesale revenues.
Overall comparable retail segment sales, which include direct-to-consumer channels, edged down 1% in the three months to 30 April, while pure retail comps fell 5%.
The US company’s Free People outlets posted a comps increase of 30% and its eponymous Urban Outfitters brand was up 1%, but Anthropologie fell 6% on the quarter.
Meanwhile, direct-to-consumer comps were up 15% and wholesale revenues increased 22%.
“I am confident that we are on the right course to bring our business back to its high standards,” said Urban Outfitters CEO Glen Senk.
“I am encouraged by the progress each of the brands have made and anticipate improvements to occur gradually during the balance of this fiscal year.”
Retailer Urban Outfitters Inc has made a number of executive changes, including new leadership at its Anthropologie, Terrain and Urban Outfitters brands....
Johan Åberg has been named as the new president and chief executive officer of Nordic fashion chain KappAhl, and is set to join the company at the beginning of 2012....
Outdoor clothing company Patagonia Inc has hired Dmitri Siegel from Urban Outfitters as the company's new vice president of global e-commerce....
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead