US: Urban Outfitters upbeat despite Q1 profit dip
- Q1 profit down 27% to US$39m
- Net sales up 9% to $524m
- CEO anticipates gradual improvements this year
Retailer Urban Outfitters recorded a 27% cut to first quarter profits, but voiced confidence in the company’s future after rises in direct-to-consumer and wholesale revenues.
Overall comparable retail segment sales, which include direct-to-consumer channels, edged down 1% in the three months to 30 April, while pure retail comps fell 5%.
The US company’s Free People outlets posted a comps increase of 30% and its eponymous Urban Outfitters brand was up 1%, but Anthropologie fell 6% on the quarter.
Meanwhile, direct-to-consumer comps were up 15% and wholesale revenues increased 22%.
“I am confident that we are on the right course to bring our business back to its high standards,” said Urban Outfitters CEO Glen Senk.
“I am encouraged by the progress each of the brands have made and anticipate improvements to occur gradually during the balance of this fiscal year.”
Retailer Urban Outfitters Inc has made a number of executive changes, including new leadership at its Anthropologie, Terrain and Urban Outfitters brands....
Johan Åberg has been named as the new president and chief executive officer of Nordic fashion chain KappAhl, and is set to join the company at the beginning of 2012....
Outdoor clothing company Patagonia Inc has hired Dmitri Siegel from Urban Outfitters as the company's new vice president of global e-commerce....
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change