CAMBODIA: Urges US to introduce tariff cuts
Cambodian trade officials are urging the US government to pass legislation to cut tariffs on goods from 14 of Asia's least developed countries (LDCs).
They believe the measure will help to protect Cambodia's apparel industry after safeguards on Chinese exports to the US expire at the end of next year.
The Tariff Relief Assistance for Developing Economies, or TRADE Act, is already before the US Senate.
Duty relief for poor nations is also being considered within the stalled Doha round of World Trade Organization negotiations.
"We know our quality is the same as the Chinese, we are fighting only over the price," said Commerce Minister Cham Prasidh told AFP, adding that US tariffs on Cambodian garment exports are between 15% and 25%.
The US accounts for around 70% of Cambodia's apparel exports.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The WTO’s seven-year-old Doha Development Round is planning the final phase of its negotiations, which would slash many import duties on clothing and textiles traded worldwide and maybe eliminate some...
The WTO's seven-year-old Doha Development Round is planning the final phase of its negotiations, which would slash many import duties on clothing and textiles traded worldwide and maybe eliminate some...
Tough lobbying by European Union (EU) member states wanting to staunch imports of cheap clothing, textiles and shoes into Europe has prevented the European Commission from reforming EU anti-dumping ru...
Active European Commission support and stubbornness in foreign trade talks is required to defend Europe's shaky clothing and textile sector against a flood of foreign imports, the European Parliament ...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective