US firms eye Vietnam footwear growth ahead of TPP
The free trade agreement being negotiated between the US and 11 other Pacific nations will bring "huge" opportunities to expand Vietnam's footwear industry, experts believe.
Business representatives at a conference in Ho Chi Minh City last week said Vietnam has become their main production base in the region. And they are expecting more firms to head to Vietnam is the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) is passed, which will reduce tariffs on Vietnamese exports to the US to near zero.
The meeting, held by the Vietnam Leather, Footwear and Handbag Association (Lefaso) and its US counterpart, Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America (FDRA), heard that wages in Vietnam are equivalent of just 38% of those in China, even though productivity is the same and workers in some areas have higher skills.
Footwear is Vietnam's third most-lucrative export industry in terms of revenue, and generated US$8.5bn last year. Nearly 600 businesses employ more than 1.1m workers in direct and supporting sectors to produce 800m pairs of shoes a year.
Lefaso's vice chairman Diep Thanh Kiet said Vietnam's industry will have to develop a better material base as well as business skills to capitalise on the opportunities presented by the TPP. The local industry doesn't yet produce basic materials like leather, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyurethane (PU) and cloth, he said, adding that Vietnamese firms are also behind in marketing and product development skills.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report