VIETNAM: US Trade Mission Explores Business Opportunities
A top-level US trade mission has arrived in Hanoi to explore new business opportunities with footwear, textile and garment manufacturers following the ratification of the Vietnam/USA bilateral trade pact.
The 17-strong group, members of the United States Apparel and Footwear Association, will spend a week visiting textile and footwear producers' factories in a quest to learn more about production costs, availability of raw materials, labour conditions and trade unions.
Led by association vice chairman Fawn Evenson, the group includes representatives of some of the industry's biggest players such as Cannon County Knitting, Hartmarx, Sara Lee, Paramont Asia, Smart Shirts and United International Corporation.
"This is a very special opportunity in partnership with Vietnam due to new resources, competitive price, and low labour cost here," Tom Travis, managing partner of Sandler, Travis and Rosenberg law firm, told officials of the Vietnam Ministry of Planning and Investment.
Mai Hoang An, chairman of the Vietnam Textile Association, urged the group to put pressure on the US government to increase quota levels to support his country's booming textile and garment sectors.
Companies: VF Corporation
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Food and consumer products group Sara Lee Corp is axing 775 jobs from its Branded Apparel business as it prepares to turn the division into a publicly held company....
VF Corporation owned denim brand, Lee, has seen growth of about 30 per cent in India, with sales rising from US$18 million (Rs780 million) in 2003 to over US$23 million (Rs1 billion) in 2004....
Jeans wear company Lee Cooper Group Limited and its affiliated companies have been acquired by Sun Capital Partners Inc's affiliate and two unrelated equity sponsors....
Intimate apparel manufacturer Sara Lee Branded Apparel has introduced an integrated mix of retail and supply chain software at its Lovable division in Italy to enhance the smooth running of its new re...
Value retail chain Matalan Plc has confirmed that it will sell its Lee Cooper brand to private equity firm Emerisque Capital for £30 million, and has reported a 31 per cent hike in full-year underlyin...
Manufacturing giant Sara Lee Corp's branded apparel unit plans to axe 350 jobs from the division that makes Champion sportswear and intimate apparel under the Bali, Playtex, L'eggs and Wonderbra brand...
US retail group Sara Lee Corporation has named Frank van Oers as a vice president of the corporation, with immediate effect....
Apparel manufacturer VF Corp has reported an 18 per cent leap in first-quarter income, encouraged by good business at its outdoor, imagewear and sportswear businesses following acquisitions....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022