INDONESIA: Wage trial claims "systemic" garment violations
A two-day public hearing staged to investigate pay and working conditions in Indonesian garment factories making clothes for Western brands and retailers has, perhaps not surprisingly, uncovered "systemic" human rights violations in the sector.
Judges at the People's Tribunal called for "urgent action" to be taken by a variety of stakeholders, including global brands.
The jury also acknowledged that "in recent years some progress has been made in tackling the challenges faced by workers in an industry dominated by a small number of buyers", but expressed their fears over "the lack of urgency and transparency" among brands.
Concerns were also expressed at existing legislation in Indonesia that makes suspension of the minimum wage a relatively easy process, and "one that is not uncommon."
"The fact that brands have become 'manufacturers without factories', does not mean they can shirk responsibility for the human right violations of the women who stitch their clothes," explained Mirjam van Heugten from Clean Clothes Campaign.
More than 100 garment workers from Indonesia were present at the tribunal, with five delivering testimonies.
A submission from fashion retailer H&M focused on the company's roadmap to a fair living wage - although the company admitted it had not tried to calculate a living wage figure.
Among their recommendations, the judges called for a living wage to be an inherent part of any sustainable corporate accountability framework.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Foot Care Products in US$ by the following Product Segments: Devices, and Medication. The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for the US, Ca...
Apparel Retail in Singapore industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile als...
Teen apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch Co has appointed Katia Kuethe as its new creative director....
Introduction Womenswear in Singapore industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015