INDONESIA: Wage trial claims "systemic" garment violations
A two-day public hearing staged to investigate pay and working conditions in Indonesian garment factories making clothes for Western brands and retailers has, perhaps not surprisingly, uncovered "systemic" human rights violations in the sector.
Judges at the People's Tribunal called for "urgent action" to be taken by a variety of stakeholders, including global brands.
The jury also acknowledged that "in recent years some progress has been made in tackling the challenges faced by workers in an industry dominated by a small number of buyers", but expressed their fears over "the lack of urgency and transparency" among brands.
Concerns were also expressed at existing legislation in Indonesia that makes suspension of the minimum wage a relatively easy process, and "one that is not uncommon."
"The fact that brands have become 'manufacturers without factories', does not mean they can shirk responsibility for the human right violations of the women who stitch their clothes," explained Mirjam van Heugten from Clean Clothes Campaign.
More than 100 garment workers from Indonesia were present at the tribunal, with five delivering testimonies.
A submission from fashion retailer H&M focused on the company's roadmap to a fair living wage - although the company admitted it had not tried to calculate a living wage figure.
Among their recommendations, the judges called for a living wage to be an inherent part of any sustainable corporate accountability framework.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
Canadian department store operator Hudson's Bay Company has more than halved its losses during the second quarter, thanks to a near-doubling of sales....
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Milliken & Company - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produc...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details