INDONESIA: Wage trial claims "systemic" garment violations
A two-day public hearing staged to investigate pay and working conditions in Indonesian garment factories making clothes for Western brands and retailers has, perhaps not surprisingly, uncovered "systemic" human rights violations in the sector.
Judges at the People's Tribunal called for "urgent action" to be taken by a variety of stakeholders, including global brands.
The jury also acknowledged that "in recent years some progress has been made in tackling the challenges faced by workers in an industry dominated by a small number of buyers", but expressed their fears over "the lack of urgency and transparency" among brands.
Concerns were also expressed at existing legislation in Indonesia that makes suspension of the minimum wage a relatively easy process, and "one that is not uncommon."
"The fact that brands have become 'manufacturers without factories', does not mean they can shirk responsibility for the human right violations of the women who stitch their clothes," explained Mirjam van Heugten from Clean Clothes Campaign.
More than 100 garment workers from Indonesia were present at the tribunal, with five delivering testimonies.
A submission from fashion retailer H&M focused on the company's roadmap to a fair living wage - although the company admitted it had not tried to calculate a living wage figure.
Among their recommendations, the judges called for a living wage to be an inherent part of any sustainable corporate accountability framework.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
Cone Denim has agreed a new R&D collaboration with DSM Dyneema, which it says opens up tremendous opportunities for its expanding line of performance denims....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Down supplier and processor Allied Feather & Down has unveiled a new consumer tracing resource called Track My Down....
Future forecasts and historic market data can improve market and strategic planning- Understand which channels and products will be the major winners and losers in the coming years. Know the share of...
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Outlook 2015: What keeps you awake at night?
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- Adidas and Timberland commit to responsible down
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024