INDONESIA: Wage trial claims "systemic" garment violations
A two-day public hearing staged to investigate pay and working conditions in Indonesian garment factories making clothes for Western brands and retailers has, perhaps not surprisingly, uncovered "systemic" human rights violations in the sector.
Judges at the People's Tribunal called for "urgent action" to be taken by a variety of stakeholders, including global brands.
The jury also acknowledged that "in recent years some progress has been made in tackling the challenges faced by workers in an industry dominated by a small number of buyers", but expressed their fears over "the lack of urgency and transparency" among brands.
Concerns were also expressed at existing legislation in Indonesia that makes suspension of the minimum wage a relatively easy process, and "one that is not uncommon."
"The fact that brands have become 'manufacturers without factories', does not mean they can shirk responsibility for the human right violations of the women who stitch their clothes," explained Mirjam van Heugten from Clean Clothes Campaign.
More than 100 garment workers from Indonesia were present at the tribunal, with five delivering testimonies.
A submission from fashion retailer H&M focused on the company's roadmap to a fair living wage - although the company admitted it had not tried to calculate a living wage figure.
Among their recommendations, the judges called for a living wage to be an inherent part of any sustainable corporate accountability framework.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
New York & Company, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service...
Future forecasts and historic market data can improve market and strategic planning- Understand which channels and products will be the major winners and losers in the coming years. Know the share of...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
Teen apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch Co has appointed Katia Kuethe as its new creative director....
Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by Glo...
- Supply chain mapping using the Bitcoin blockchain
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- New dye-sublimation printers for sportswear
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Uniqlo owner highlights supplier factory progress
- Clothing a top category for mass personalisation
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019