US: Wal-Mart Canada to search for new CEO
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores is looking for a new CEO to head up its Canadian operations, after promoting Shelley Broader to president and CEO of Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA).
Broader, who has served as president and CEO of Wal-Mart Canada since September 2011, will now lead the company's retail operations and oversee business development in Europe, the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa.
She will continue to have responsibility for the Canadian market until her successor is in place, reporting to Wal-Mart International president and CEO David Cheesewright.
He said Broader is the ideal person to "leverage the tremendous potential the EMEA region holds for our company".
Broader joined Wal-Mart Canada as chief merchandising officer in December 2010.
Wal-Mart operates more than 1,345 retail units in Canada, Sub-Saharan Africa and the UK, employing more than 285,000 people.
Last week, Wal-Mart became the latest retailer to cut hundreds of jobs in Canada in a move aimed at providing "improved service" to its customers and "enhanced career opportunities" for its employees. It has eliminated 750 roles - which make up less than 1% of its Canadian workforce.
With its cheaper labour and resources, East Africa has already attracted foreign investment, particularly from Asia - as well as business from major international fashion brands and retailers....
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Global Online Retail industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descrip...
Online Retail in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also co...
Food and drink internet retailing posted outstanding growth in 2012 and 2013. Working females in urban centres with a busy lifestyle find it convenient and time saving to purchase groceries online. It...
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020