US: Wal-Mart Canada to search for new CEO
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores is looking for a new CEO to head up its Canadian operations, after promoting Shelley Broader to president and CEO of Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA).
Broader, who has served as president and CEO of Wal-Mart Canada since September 2011, will now lead the company's retail operations and oversee business development in Europe, the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa.
She will continue to have responsibility for the Canadian market until her successor is in place, reporting to Wal-Mart International president and CEO David Cheesewright.
He said Broader is the ideal person to "leverage the tremendous potential the EMEA region holds for our company".
Broader joined Wal-Mart Canada as chief merchandising officer in December 2010.
Wal-Mart operates more than 1,345 retail units in Canada, Sub-Saharan Africa and the UK, employing more than 285,000 people.
Last week, Wal-Mart became the latest retailer to cut hundreds of jobs in Canada in a move aimed at providing "improved service" to its customers and "enhanced career opportunities" for its employees. It has eliminated 750 roles - which make up less than 1% of its Canadian workforce.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
Global Online Retail industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descrip...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- US West Coast port contract reached
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide