INDIA: Wal-Mart expands e-commerce operations
Retail giant Wal-Mart is expanding its technology centre in India and has hired a former Oracle executive to head up the operations.
A spokesperson for Wal-Mart told just-style the group is building an internet technology company as an extension of its @WalmartLabs India, set up in Bangalore in 2012. The move forms part of Wal-Mart's global push to strengthen its e-commerce business.
K Jaya Kumar will also be joining as vice president and managing director for Wal-Mart Global Technology Services (GTS), India. He joins with over two decades of experience in the hi-tech space with companies such as Ariba, Walt Disney, Oracle and Wipro Infotech.
"The team we've been building includes some of the best technolgists in the world," the spokesperson said. "We've hired nearly 1,000 people in Silicon Valley in the past 12 months, and we've made 13 acquisitions over the past three years."
To accommodate Wal-Mart's growing team and the growth of its e-commerce business, it is expanding to a building next door, an additional 50,000 sq ft facility. The Touchstone building will accommodate 350 associates and is expected be ready next month, though a move-in date has not yet been decided.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Accelerated selling, general and administrative (SG&A) spending is driving retailers into the red, one analyst has said, and could become a key theme over the near term....
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report