INDIA: Wal-Mart expands e-commerce operations
Retail giant Wal-Mart is expanding its technology centre in India and has hired a former Oracle executive to head up the operations.
A spokesperson for Wal-Mart told just-style the group is building an internet technology company as an extension of its @WalmartLabs India, set up in Bangalore in 2012. The move forms part of Wal-Mart's global push to strengthen its e-commerce business.
K Jaya Kumar will also be joining as vice president and managing director for Wal-Mart Global Technology Services (GTS), India. He joins with over two decades of experience in the hi-tech space with companies such as Ariba, Walt Disney, Oracle and Wipro Infotech.
"The team we've been building includes some of the best technolgists in the world," the spokesperson said. "We've hired nearly 1,000 people in Silicon Valley in the past 12 months, and we've made 13 acquisitions over the past three years."
To accommodate Wal-Mart's growing team and the growth of its e-commerce business, it is expanding to a building next door, an additional 50,000 sq ft facility. The Touchstone building will accommodate 350 associates and is expected be ready next month, though a move-in date has not yet been decided.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
Global Online Retail industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descrip...
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- Apparel and textiles rank high on EU alert system
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019