INDIA: Wal-Mart expands e-commerce operations
Retail giant Wal-Mart is expanding its technology centre in India and has hired a former Oracle executive to head up the operations.
A spokesperson for Wal-Mart told just-style the group is building an internet technology company as an extension of its @WalmartLabs India, set up in Bangalore in 2012. The move forms part of Wal-Mart's global push to strengthen its e-commerce business.
K Jaya Kumar will also be joining as vice president and managing director for Wal-Mart Global Technology Services (GTS), India. He joins with over two decades of experience in the hi-tech space with companies such as Ariba, Walt Disney, Oracle and Wipro Infotech.
"The team we've been building includes some of the best technolgists in the world," the spokesperson said. "We've hired nearly 1,000 people in Silicon Valley in the past 12 months, and we've made 13 acquisitions over the past three years."
To accommodate Wal-Mart's growing team and the growth of its e-commerce business, it is expanding to a building next door, an additional 50,000 sq ft facility. The Touchstone building will accommodate 350 associates and is expected be ready next month, though a move-in date has not yet been decided.
With its cheaper labour and resources, East Africa has already attracted foreign investment, particularly from Asia - as well as business from major international fashion brands and retailers....
For the 2015/2016 fiscal year, Wal-Mart’s key strategic goals include the expansion of its outlet network and the enhancement of its digital retail capabilities. In terms of outlet expansion, the comp...
Baby clothing refers to clothing for infants and toddlers aged between 0 to 36 months. It includes apparel such as outerwear, innerwear, nightwear, socks, and tights designed for babies. The clothes a...
Canadean's "Delta Galil Industries Ltd. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major produc...
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape