US: Wal-Mart eyes online growth with new warehouses
Retail giant Wal-Mart Stores is racing to expand its e-commerce business with two new large-scale warehouses dedicated to fulfilling online orders and speeding up shipments.
A new 800,000 sq ft facility in Fort Worth, Texas began shipping orders last week, while the second, in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania is due to open in the first quarter of next year and at more than 1m sq ft will be the company's largest.
Combined, the new operations will house hundreds of thousands of items ranging from electronics, to toys, apparel, fitness equipment and sporting goods.
"With our dedicated online facilities and 4,100 stores within five miles of two-thirds of the US population, we gain a significant advantage by being positioned in the most important location - close to our customers," said Joel Anderson, president and CEO of Walmart.com.
"This unique combination allows us to get more products to our customers faster and at a lower cost."
Wal-Mart says it expects sales from its e-commerce business to exceed $10bn globally this fiscal year - with online sales led by the US, but also generated in Brazil, China, and the UK.
However, this is just a fraction of the $466.1bn in total revenue booked by the retailer last year.
As well as its two new online fulfilment centres, the company ships online orders from stores and many of its more than 130 distribution centres.
It is also planning to double the number of products available online to more than 5m this holiday season, including its own items and those offered through marketplace sellers.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
Global Online Retail industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descrip...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report