CANADA: Wal-Mart Loses Domain Name Battle With Cyber Squatter
Kenneth Harvey was allowed to keep the domain name wallmartcanadasucks.com despite having to hand over walmartcanadasucks.com and walmartcanada.com over to the Bentonville, Arkansas-based retailer.
Wal-Mart claimed that the domain names were confusingly similar to its trademarked name and wanted all three domain names to be turned over to them.
Arbitrator Henry Perritt Jr wrote in his ruling: "[Harvey] may be acting unfairly. He may be engaged in unwarranted disparagement. He may be acting childishly. He may be retaliating for having lost earlier cybersquatting cases. But this does not necessarily mean that he may be forced to transfer the accused domain name to the complainant under the [arbitration rules], considering the purpose."
Wal-Mart will be allowed to appeal the decision in the courts.
Companies: Wal-Mart Stores Inc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Wal-Mart is famous for its everyday low prices. The world's largest company continues to dramatically transform the retail landscape by exploring new growth avenues, selling new categories of merchand...
For the past 20 years Wal-Mart has redefined the way most retailers and manufacturers across channels and categories have done business. Every apparel company has been affected thanks to the retail gi...
Will the US and EU impose limits on Chinese apparel exports, or won't they? And does it matter that much anyway? asks Mike Flanagan...
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
The world's top retailer, Wal-Mart, has been landed with a lawsuit for allegedly ignoring sweatshop conditions at clothing and toy factories....
Retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc has posted a 10.2 per cent second-quarter net sales rise, boosted by strong demand for garment lines such as swimsuits and tank tops....
The world's top retailer, Wal-Mart Stores Inc, has reported a provisional sales increase of approximately 4.5 per cent in June, with better weather encouraging sales of seasonal apparel....
Top global retailer Wal-Mart will soon start work on a CNY100 million footwear logistics centre in the Fujian province of China....
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack