CANADA: Wal-Mart to invest CAD500m in expansion
Wal-Mart plans to expand its capabilities in Canada
US retail giant Wal-Mart will invest "close to" CAD500m (US$452.4m) this year to drive growth in Canada.
The company said it will enlarge its supercentre and distribution network as well as expanding its e-commerce offering, walmart.ca.
During fiscal 2013, which ran to the end of January, the company invested around a similar amount - US$450m - on expanding in Canada.
This year, it will spend CAD91m on distribution projects, while a further CAD31m will be spent on e-commerce.
The bulk of the investment - CAD376m - will be spent on opening and upgrading Wal-Mart's store network. Wal-Mart said it will open 35 supercentres, increasing selling space in the country by 1m square feet.
By the end of January 2015 - the group's next financial year - Wal-Mart said it expects to operate 395 stores, including 282 supercentres and 113 discount outlets in Canada.
The move will create 7,500 jobs in the country, Wal-Mart claimed.
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
Canadean's "Delta Galil Industries Ltd. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major produc...
Footwear business New Balance has hit back at rival Converse in a continuing row about the design of the latter's Chuck Taylor All-Star sneakers....
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis