CANADA: Wal-Mart to invest CAD500m in expansion
Wal-Mart plans to expand its capabilities in Canada
US retail giant Wal-Mart will invest "close to" CAD500m (US$452.4m) this year to drive growth in Canada.
The company said it will enlarge its supercentre and distribution network as well as expanding its e-commerce offering, walmart.ca.
During fiscal 2013, which ran to the end of January, the company invested around a similar amount - US$450m - on expanding in Canada.
This year, it will spend CAD91m on distribution projects, while a further CAD31m will be spent on e-commerce.
The bulk of the investment - CAD376m - will be spent on opening and upgrading Wal-Mart's store network. Wal-Mart said it will open 35 supercentres, increasing selling space in the country by 1m square feet.
By the end of January 2015 - the group's next financial year - Wal-Mart said it expects to operate 395 stores, including 282 supercentres and 113 discount outlets in Canada.
The move will create 7,500 jobs in the country, Wal-Mart claimed.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at how clothing is likely to remain a focus for Tesco despite its upcoming CEO change, a snapshot of Myanmar's textile and apparel industry...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Apparel is third-largest re-shored US sector
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Trial cotton subsidy scheme underway in China
- Cambodia union members detained amid wage campaign
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Clothing Manufacturers (Global) - Industry Report