CANADA: Wal-Mart to invest CAD500m in expansion
Wal-Mart plans to expand its capabilities in Canada
US retail giant Wal-Mart will invest "close to" CAD500m (US$452.4m) this year to drive growth in Canada.
The company said it will enlarge its supercentre and distribution network as well as expanding its e-commerce offering, walmart.ca.
During fiscal 2013, which ran to the end of January, the company invested around a similar amount - US$450m - on expanding in Canada.
This year, it will spend CAD91m on distribution projects, while a further CAD31m will be spent on e-commerce.
The bulk of the investment - CAD376m - will be spent on opening and upgrading Wal-Mart's store network. Wal-Mart said it will open 35 supercentres, increasing selling space in the country by 1m square feet.
By the end of January 2015 - the group's next financial year - Wal-Mart said it expects to operate 395 stores, including 282 supercentres and 113 discount outlets in Canada.
The move will create 7,500 jobs in the country, Wal-Mart claimed.
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
Canadean's "Delta Galil Industries Ltd. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major produc...
Abstract About Children’s and Infant Wear Children's wear refers to clothing for children aged between 0 months to 10 years. It includes apparel such as outerwear, underwear, nightwear, socks and t...
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)