US: Walmart ramps up efforts to boost domestic production
Retail giant Walmart is ramping up its efforts to boost domestic manufacturing with the launch of an innovation fund to find solutions to challenges linked to reshoring and growing US production.
The Walmart US Manufacturing Innovation Fund, launched alongside the Walmart Foundation and the US Conference of Mayors, will be open to non-profit organisations to apply for grants of US$100,000 or more, funded by Walmart Foundations.
In its first year, the fund will focus on innovation in textiles manufacturing and processes applying to a broad range of consumer goods.
Research and academic institutions, think tanks and other non-profit organisations are anticipated to be among those taking part.
“Through the Walmart US Manufacturing Innovation Fund, we hope to help remove the barriers to revitalising and growing US manufacturing, creating jobs and building a stronger American economy,” said Cindi Marsiglio, vice president US sourcing and domestic manufacturing at Walmart.
“This is part of Walmart and the Walmart Foundation’s broader commitment to foster new ideas and jobs to promote strong communities and grow America’s manufacturing footprint.”
Part of Walmart’s commitment to buy an additional $250bn in products supporting American manufacturing, the fund will be open to applications until 22 April.
The retail giant early last year outlined its commitment to increase the amount of products - including apparel - it sources from the US.
Most recently it revealed it would source footwear from a new factory in the US as part of the company's commitment to buy an extra US$50bn in US-made products over the next ten years.
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- Falling euro adds to Bangladesh production woes
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Myanmar Code of Conduct a first step in compliance
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Abercrombie & Fitch reports “dismal” FY
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- US labour concerns at Honduras apparel makers
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019