MEXICO: Walmex Q4 profit slumps on price cuts
- Q4 net profit down 12.8% to MXN7.304bn (US$558m)
- Revenues up 3.6% to MXN124.5bn
- Chief executive describes “great challenges”
Retailer Wal-Mart de Mexico, known locally as Walmex, saw its fourth quarter net profit drop thanks to price cuts and falling consumer confidence.
The company, owned by retail giant Wal-Mart, said its gross profit margin was down 60 basis points in the last three months of 2013 to 22.2%.
Describing 2013 as “a year of great challenges”, company chief executive Scot Rank said: “Given the reduction in disposable income and the decrease in consumer confidence, we placed our customer at the centre of our activities and invested strongly in prices.”
Mexico’s retail sector has been generally impacted in recent months by a loss of consumer confidence and depressed economic indicators.
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Food and drink internet retailing posted outstanding growth in 2012 and 2013. Working females in urban centres with a busy lifestyle find it convenient and time saving to purchase groceries online. It...
In 2013, mixed retailers registered current value sales growth of 9%, with department stores remaining the key format. The economic slowdown in China negatively impacted mixed retailers. Compared to m...
Strong internet penetration in Chile supports the trend towards internet retailing, particularly in urban areas of the country. Easy and affordable internet access, including free Wi-Fi in public loca...
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Hanesbrands Q4 performance “disappoints”
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024