MEXICO: Walmex Q4 profit slumps on price cuts
- Q4 net profit down 12.8% to MXN7.304bn (US$558m)
- Revenues up 3.6% to MXN124.5bn
- Chief executive describes “great challenges”
Retailer Wal-Mart de Mexico, known locally as Walmex, saw its fourth quarter net profit drop thanks to price cuts and falling consumer confidence.
The company, owned by retail giant Wal-Mart, said its gross profit margin was down 60 basis points in the last three months of 2013 to 22.2%.
Describing 2013 as “a year of great challenges”, company chief executive Scot Rank said: “Given the reduction in disposable income and the decrease in consumer confidence, we placed our customer at the centre of our activities and invested strongly in prices.”
Mexico’s retail sector has been generally impacted in recent months by a loss of consumer confidence and depressed economic indicators.
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Synopsis Canadean's "Jaclyn, Inc. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and...
Canadean's "Delta Galil Industries Ltd. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major produc...
Abstract About Children’s and Infant Wear Children's wear refers to clothing for children aged between 0 months to 10 years. It includes apparel such as outerwear, underwear, nightwear, socks and t...
- Why have US FTA imports fallen to a record low?
- Hanesbrands sourcing to cut Pacific Brands costs
- Collaboration key to the future of smart textiles
- First figures show Bangladesh exports climb
- Synergies Worldwide CEO unravels sourcing shifts
- Li & Fung divests Asia distribution business
- US looks to boost trade with Sri Lanka
- US Q1 in brief: Wolverine Worldwide, Weyco
- Vietnam textile sector calls for strategy update
- Lindex planning supplier sustainability scorecard