MEXICO: Walmex Q4 profit slumps on price cuts
- Q4 net profit down 12.8% to MXN7.304bn (US$558m)
- Revenues up 3.6% to MXN124.5bn
- Chief executive describes “great challenges”
Retailer Wal-Mart de Mexico, known locally as Walmex, saw its fourth quarter net profit drop thanks to price cuts and falling consumer confidence.
The company, owned by retail giant Wal-Mart, said its gross profit margin was down 60 basis points in the last three months of 2013 to 22.2%.
Describing 2013 as “a year of great challenges”, company chief executive Scot Rank said: “Given the reduction in disposable income and the decrease in consumer confidence, we placed our customer at the centre of our activities and invested strongly in prices.”
Mexico’s retail sector has been generally impacted in recent months by a loss of consumer confidence and depressed economic indicators.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- 'Cotton of the Carolinas' grows reshoring efforts
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report