MEXICO: Walmex Q4 profit slumps on price cuts
- Q4 net profit down 12.8% to MXN7.304bn (US$558m)
- Revenues up 3.6% to MXN124.5bn
- Chief executive describes “great challenges”
Retailer Wal-Mart de Mexico, known locally as Walmex, saw its fourth quarter net profit drop thanks to price cuts and falling consumer confidence.
The company, owned by retail giant Wal-Mart, said its gross profit margin was down 60 basis points in the last three months of 2013 to 22.2%.
Describing 2013 as “a year of great challenges”, company chief executive Scot Rank said: “Given the reduction in disposable income and the decrease in consumer confidence, we placed our customer at the centre of our activities and invested strongly in prices.”
Mexico’s retail sector has been generally impacted in recent months by a loss of consumer confidence and depressed economic indicators.
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
Canadean's "Delta Galil Industries Ltd. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major produc...
Activists are ramping up the pressure on Italian fashion giant Benetton to pay into the Rana Plaza victims' compensation fund, claiming that nearly 1m people have signed a petition backing their campa...
Footwear business New Balance has hit back at rival Converse in a continuing row about the design of the latter's Chuck Taylor All-Star sneakers....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis