MEXICO: Walmex Q4 profit slumps on price cuts
- Q4 net profit down 12.8% to MXN7.304bn (US$558m)
- Revenues up 3.6% to MXN124.5bn
- Chief executive describes “great challenges”
Retailer Wal-Mart de Mexico, known locally as Walmex, saw its fourth quarter net profit drop thanks to price cuts and falling consumer confidence.
The company, owned by retail giant Wal-Mart, said its gross profit margin was down 60 basis points in the last three months of 2013 to 22.2%.
Describing 2013 as “a year of great challenges”, company chief executive Scot Rank said: “Given the reduction in disposable income and the decrease in consumer confidence, we placed our customer at the centre of our activities and invested strongly in prices.”
Mexico’s retail sector has been generally impacted in recent months by a loss of consumer confidence and depressed economic indicators.
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
In 2008, the US-based multinational company Wal-Mart Stores acquired the Chilean hypermarket, supermarket and retail company D&S, which already owned more than 250 stores across the country. Every yea...
Wal-Mart de México SAB de CV is the leading and most influential chained grocery retailer in Mexico. The company’s strategy is based on offering a wide range of products at affordable prices. Conseque...
In 2013 the global economic slowdown severely affected the performance of multinational companies in some of the major markets, such as the US and Europe. As a result, many of these players shifted th...
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Vietnam factories face fire safety challenge
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Triumph recalls 22,000 bras for underwire fault
- Investigation uncovers China's dog leather trade
- Wage theft of migrants in Thai apparel industry
- Vietnam “promise” for Italy textile machinery