UK: Warm weather boosts June clothing retail sales
Demand for clothing was boosted by good weather and consumers enthusiasm for spending
Warm weather and consumers enthusiasm for spending helped drive an increase in sales at UK clothing and footwear retailers in June.
The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), show the volume of sales at textile, clothing and footwear stores was up 1.3% year-on-year in June. In value terms, sales grew 3.2%.
However, when compared to the prior month, June textile, clothing and footwear stores saw sales volumes and values edge down 2% and 0.1% respectively.
Feedback from several retailers suggests "sales in clothing stores have been delayed as consumers have continued to buy clothing from the summer ranges as the good weather continues", the ONS said.
Average store prices for the sector increased 2% year-on-year in June, the largest increase since July 2013 (2.5%). Average weekly sales totalled GBP900m (US$1.5bn).
Internet sales of textiles, clothing and footwear jumped 20.6%, accounting for 11.8% of total sales made online.
Overall retail sales, including auto fuel, grew 3.6% in volume terms and were up 3.5% in value terms year-on-year in June. Excluding fuel, retail sales volumes rose 4% and retail sales value was up 4.2%.
On a month-by month basis, sales volumes climbed 0.1% in June, and sales values edged up 0.8%.
"The retail sector is enjoying continued year on year growth, bolstered by the good weather and consumers' enthusiasm for splashing out on garden furniture, BBQs and new clothes," said Richard Lowe, head of retail and wholesale at Barclays.
"Over the summer months, retailers will continue to make hay while the sun shines."
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide