UK: Warm weather boosts June clothing retail sales
Demand for clothing was boosted by good weather and consumers enthusiasm for spending
Warm weather and consumers enthusiasm for spending helped drive an increase in sales at UK clothing and footwear retailers in June.
The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), show the volume of sales at textile, clothing and footwear stores was up 1.3% year-on-year in June. In value terms, sales grew 3.2%.
However, when compared to the prior month, June textile, clothing and footwear stores saw sales volumes and values edge down 2% and 0.1% respectively.
Feedback from several retailers suggests "sales in clothing stores have been delayed as consumers have continued to buy clothing from the summer ranges as the good weather continues", the ONS said.
Average store prices for the sector increased 2% year-on-year in June, the largest increase since July 2013 (2.5%). Average weekly sales totalled GBP900m (US$1.5bn).
Internet sales of textiles, clothing and footwear jumped 20.6%, accounting for 11.8% of total sales made online.
Overall retail sales, including auto fuel, grew 3.6% in volume terms and were up 3.5% in value terms year-on-year in June. Excluding fuel, retail sales volumes rose 4% and retail sales value was up 4.2%.
On a month-by month basis, sales volumes climbed 0.1% in June, and sales values edged up 0.8%.
"The retail sector is enjoying continued year on year growth, bolstered by the good weather and consumers' enthusiasm for splashing out on garden furniture, BBQs and new clothes," said Richard Lowe, head of retail and wholesale at Barclays.
"Over the summer months, retailers will continue to make hay while the sun shines."
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020