Warm weather "stifles" Uniqlo November sales
Unusually hot weather stifled sales of winter clothing in November
Unusually hot weather in mid-November stifled sales of winter apparel for casual clothing brand Uniqlo, pushing down sales at its Japanese stores.
The Fast Retailing-owned brand said same-store-sales fell 8.9% year-on-year, while sales at its directly-run stores declined by 9.9%. Total sales, including online sales, were down 8.1%.
This compares to the respective increases of 5.5%, 4.5% and 5.9% in October, when cold weather boosted sales of autumn/winter ranges.
Uniqlo opened five stores, but closed two during the month.
In November, Uniqlo inked a new five-year sourcing deal with Japanese textile maker Toray Industries in a move aimed at reducing lead times, optimising production and "creating a new industry centred on the future".
It is the third stage of a strategic partnership established ten years ago, and is expected to generate JPY1trn (US$8.12trn) worth of transactions between the two companies from next year until 2020.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Fast Retailing is expected to continue to focus on its flagship Uniqlo brand in the forecast period....
Fast Retailing Co Ltd (FRC) enjoyed strong growth over 2010-2015, underpinned by market-defying success in its native Japan, and aggressive store openings in Asia Pacific and especially Japan. Its Uni...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at how Fast Retailing has invested US$3.8m in a joint venture to increase production of seamless knitwear, the first fall in the internet's...
Footwear in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative information including: market size (value 2011-15, and forecast to 2020). The profile also contains descriptions of th...
US teen apparel retailer Forever 21 has confirmed to just-style it is to shutter its flagship store in Causeway Bay, a move analysts say may be due to the cooling down of the fast fashion trend in Hon...
Footwear in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative information including: market size (value 2011-15, and forecast to 2020). The profile also contains description...
- Bangladesh apparel sector faces up to challenges
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Gap working to rebuild and gain market share
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- US Q4 in brief – American Eagle Outfitters
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- Myanmar forms new minimum wage committee
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022