SWEDEN: Weak demand and uncertainty hits Björn Borg profits
- FY earnings drop to SEK13.9m
- Gross margin widens to 50.9%
- Sales fall 9%
Weak demand and widespread market uncertainty weighed on earnings for underwear brand Björn Borg in its last fiscal year.
In its latest annual report, Björn Borg revealed earnings had dropped to SEK13.9m (US$2.1m) from SEK47.2m a year earlier. This was largely due to its biggest market, the Netherlands, where the firm's local distributor significantly reduced its network of retailers in a generally weak market.
Profit was also negatively affected by SEK26m, comprising delivery delays of about SEK12m, non-recurring items in China, and severance for its resigning CEO totaling SEK14m.
"We have seen a sense of cautiousness among our retailers in Sweden and other markets as well, with some chains placing more focus on private labels," acting CEO Henrik Fischer said.
The firm's gross profit margin widened to 50.9% from 50.2% a year earlier, while sales dropped 9% to SEK499.2m. Excluding currency effects, sales were down 8%.
Fischer added: "We are seeing a slight increase in follow-on orders, which shows that sales at the retail level have probably done a little better than retailers had hoped. We also saw a positive sales trend in our own operations in England and Finland."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts