JAPAN: Weak Talbots sales push Aeon Q1 profit down 38%
Aeon, based near Tokyo, said group net profit was JPY8bn (US$65.8m) for the quarter ended 20 May, down from JPY13bn a year earlier. Group sales rose 8.7% to JPY1.228 trillion.
Operating profit at Aeon's speciality store segment, which includes contributions from Talbots, in which it owns a 55% stake, dropped 59% to JPY2.3bn in the quarter from a year earlier.
In May, Talbots posted an 81% slump in first-quarter profit to $5.2m, blaming adverse weather in April, the earlier Easter and a broader-based consumer slowdown.
Talbots has recently hired Trudy Sullivan, an industry veteran at Liz Claiborne, to lead its turnaround efforts.
For the fiscal year Aeon has kept to its forecast for net profit of JPY70bn to JPY76bn, citing an expected rebound in its domestic superstore sales.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' October 2007 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
International retailer The Talbots is to exit its Talbots Kids and Talbots Mens concepts by September 2008 after a thorough evaluation of its business....
Here is a roundup of the top five must-read stories on just-style this week. Please click on each article to read more....
The Talbots has announced the appointment of Jeannie Barsam as its senior vice president of merchandising planning and analysis for the Talbots brand....
Two new senior appointments have been made at US clothing retailer The Talbots, aimed at realigning the company's products and elevating its brand image....
Retailer The Talbots has announced a net loss of US$9.4m for the third quarter period compared to a net income of $8.1m for the same period last year, mainly due to higher acquisition-related and fina...
Apparel retailer The Talbots Inc has slashed its outlook for the second half of the year amid poor sales of the Talbots brand and "an uncertain economic environment."...
Specialty women's apparel retailer The Talbots Inc has hired a consulting firm to carry out a strategic review of the company, looking specifically at the positioning and expansion opportunities for i...
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective