UK: Weather dulls May sales
Rain was the only thing that dampened shoppers' enthusiasm last month. Latest figures from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) show that the volume of retail sales rose for most of May, until the outbreak of rainy weather. Sales rose 5.7%, although the last week of the month saw a fall off in business as the poorer weather kept shoppers at home. Like-for-like sales, which exclude the effect of new and expanded stores were 3.2% higher - roughly in line with the trend over the last three months. Retailers noted that the rising volume of sales was being achieved through intense price competition and did not point to a retail boom. Mark Bradshaw, acting director general of the BRC, said: "These figures show the continuation of the slow, steady recovery we have seen since the beginning of the year. "There is some evidence of increased consumer confidence, but shoppers remain extremely bargain conscious, which is exacerbating price deflation across the sector."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar