UK: Weather dulls May sales
Rain was the only thing that dampened shoppers' enthusiasm last month. Latest figures from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) show that the volume of retail sales rose for most of May, until the outbreak of rainy weather. Sales rose 5.7%, although the last week of the month saw a fall off in business as the poorer weather kept shoppers at home. Like-for-like sales, which exclude the effect of new and expanded stores were 3.2% higher - roughly in line with the trend over the last three months. Retailers noted that the rising volume of sales was being achieved through intense price competition and did not point to a retail boom. Mark Bradshaw, acting director general of the BRC, said: "These figures show the continuation of the slow, steady recovery we have seen since the beginning of the year. "There is some evidence of increased consumer confidence, but shoppers remain extremely bargain conscious, which is exacerbating price deflation across the sector."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts