CHINA: Weiqiao Textile H1 profit plummets 90%
- H1 profit down 90.1% to CNY54m
- Revenue slips 4% to CNY7.71bn
- Continued economic challenges remain
Net profit plummeted 90.1% to CNY54m (US$8.5m) over the six months ended 30 June. The company said factors such as weak demand at home and abroad, the cotton price gap between domestic and overseas markets, as well as international competition contributed to the decline.
Revenue was down 4% to CNY7.71bn, while gross profit margin declined 7.3 percentage points to 5.4%.
Sales of cotton yarn increased 3.5% to CNY3.69bn, while sales of grey cotton declined 9.4% to CNY3.56bn and denim sales fell 12% to CNY453m.
"During the period, cotton prices in the domestic market remained at a low level while declining sharply in overseas markets, making overseas cotton much cheaper than domestic cotton, which led to greater competition pressure on the domestic textile industry," Weiqiao Textile's chairman Zhang Hongxia said.
"Therefore, it was difficult to lift the prices of textile products, which significantly affected the group's overall profitability."
Hongxia added: "Looking ahead, we expect the global economy to continue to pose challenges, and this will likely cause demand from international markets to remain weak."
Companies: Weiqiao Textile Company Limited
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report