UK: Welsh secretary supports Burberry factory campaign
Welsh secretary Peter Hain has joined the fight to keep open Burberry's factory in Treorchy, Wales.
Hain said in a letter to Burberry he could understand why the workers were so angered by the fashion firm's plans to shift production to lower-cost foreign locations.
"With Burberry having recorded profits of GBP84m (US$166.15m) I can understand why Burberry's workers feel cheated by the company's decision."
The closure will cause "immediate hardship" for the plant's workforce, Hain said, as well as hurting their families and the local community as a whole.
"Burberry's international success is based firmly in its 150-year-old roots in Britain, and I am particularly proud that this international success story is based in Wales," he added.
"How is it possible for such an iconic British brand to be manufactured anywhere other than Britain?"
Britain's General Union (GMB) is campaigning to keep the factory open, while Welsh actor Ioan Gruffurd has also voiced his opposition to the company's plans.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The clothing market in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is experiencing stellar growth on the back of rising consumer spending, a surge in tourists, and 145% growth in retail space as new malls and shop...
High street stores are queuing up to get famous faces designing clothes for them, and the Kate Moss collection for Topshop is the latest sign that fashion chains are cashing in on celebrity. Joe Aylin...
Luxury goods retailer Burberry's boosted profits by 4% for the full-year 2006/07 in a preliminary sales statement....
Brioni has rated the most prestigious luxury men's fashion brand in a new survey carried out among wealthy consumers....
UK-based upmarket clothing retailer Jaeger is accelerating its international expansion plans and intends to double its number of overseas stores from 40 to 80 in the next 12-18 months....
Shanghai's counterfeit watchdog has banned the sale of eight brands at local fashion markets in further efforts to stamp out the sale of fake goods in China....
Burberry Group has posted a 20% rise in total revenues for the final six months of its financial year that ended with a number of store openings and a UK factory closure....
Burberry's British factory in Treorchy, Wales, which employed 300 people, has been closed down this afternoon despite ongoing campaigns to keep it running....
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts