CANADA: West 49 holiday sales down 0.3%
Net sales at action sports retailer West 49 fell 0.3% to $36.0m for the five weeks to 29 December, compared to $36.1m for the same period a year ago.
For the five week period, the company's same-store sales decreased 5.4% on a consolidated basis and fell 3.9% at its core West 49 banner.
The company said that same-store sales were negatively impacted by cross border shopping, which it blamed on the strong appreciation in the Canadian dollar compared to the same period the year before.
Excluding Ontario, the West 49 banner posted same-store sales growth of 3.3% compared to the holiday selling season the year before, it added.
"As anticipated, cross border shopping and an especially challenging retail environment in Ontario continue to impact our top line in the fourth quarter," said Sam Baio, CEO of West 49.
"We are taking decisive actions to strengthen our business and adjust to the current environment in which we operate.
"We are working with our suppliers to ensure our costs more accurately reflect the stronger Canadian dollar. In fact, our merchandise purchases for the coming spring and summer seasons will benefit from the higher Canadian dollar.
"We remain confident that our strategy to relocate and expand many of our older West 49 stores in Ontario will improve their sales performance and help grow our market share."
For the fourth quarter-to-date, or the nine-week period ended 29 December 2007, sales increased 0.2% to $51.8m from $51.7m for the same period last year.
Quarter-to-date consolidated same-store sales declined 5.1% compared to the year before, with the West 49 banner's same-store sales declining by 2.1%.
Excluding Ontario, the West 49 banner posted same-store sales growth of 3.7% compared to the same nine week period a year earlier.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Women's wear retailer The Talbots Inc is in the midst of a major turnaround aimed at slashing costs by $100m by the end of next year and restoring its business to profitable growth. Earlier this month...
Shares in UK retailer Marks & Spencer plunged more than 20% today (2 July) after the retailer issued a surprise profit warning amid weakening consumer confidence and slumping sales....
In a bid to cut its annual costs by $5m, maternity wear retailer Mothers Work Inc yesterday (1 July) unveiled plans to restructure its business by axing the Mimi Maternity brand, streamlining its stor...
The early onset of the rainy season hit June sales figures at low-cost retailer Uniqlo's Japanese stores, which registered a like-for-like increase of 0.7%....
Women's apparel retailer Christopher & Banks Corporation has posted a 3.4% dip in first quarter profit, but beat its own guidance after selling more items at full price....
Women's wear retailer Chico's FAS Inc has outlined a number of ways it intends to boost its future profits, including plans to improve the fit, fabric and quality of its garments, and slowing its real...
Athletic footwear and apparel retailer The Finish Line Inc has swung to a first quarter profit after tight control of its inventory and a focus on premium lines helped raise product margins and sellin...
Canadian fashion retailer Le Château has posted a 6.4% rise in total retail sales for the first seven weeks of the second quarter, with same-store sales up 2.0% compared to the same period last year....
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar