US: Wet Seal narrows Q4 loss despite sales slump
- Q4 net loss of US$27.5m versus $85.8m
- Sales declines 22.8% to $124.8m
- Comparable store sales falls 16.5%
Specialty apparel retailer The Wet Seal has narrowed its loss during the fourth quarter, after lower expenses offset a double-digit decline in sales.
Selling, general and administrative expenses fell 25.8% to $42.7m during the 13 weeks to 1 February, while asset-impairment charges edged down 0.1% to $8m.
Meanwhile, net sales at Wet Seal and Arden B declined a respective 14% and 43%.
"Although we concluded fiscal 2013 with a difficult fourth quarter, we made substantial progress during the year against our turnaround strategies, which provides a strong foundation for the business," said company CEO John Goodman.
"In light of the difficulties we faced, and which continue to impact us in the first quarter, we are taking action to respond to ongoing macro pressures and the changing retail environment.
The retailer said it expects to report a net loss of $0.16-0.19 for the first quarter of fiscal 2014, assuming anticipated comparable store sales, which includes e-commerce, in the negative mid- to high-teens.
Separately, Wet Seal has entered into an agreement to raise as much as $27m in a private placement as part of its strategic plan to drive e-commerce growth, transform its real estate portfolio and pursue opportunity in the plus-size market.
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry....
Beleaguered teen apparel retailer The Wet Seal has become the first major casualty of 2015 to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection....
Plimsoll Publishing’s PROTECTIVE CLOTHING (UK) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the PROTECTIVE CLOTHING (UK) market and delivers a comprehensive individual analysis on the top 390 companies, i...
Fast fashion retailer The Wet Seal is closing 338 stores with immediate effect, leading to the loss of 3,695 full and part-time jobs....
Fashion retailer The Wet Seal recorded a wider third-quarter net loss as sales continued to decline across the business....
Beleaguered business The Wet Seal has assembled a team to identify and analyse potential strategic and financial alternatives....
Beleaguered business The Wet Seal has appointed company executive Thomas Hillebrandt to the role of interim chief financial officer....
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024