US: Wet Seal warns of larger Q4 loss on sales declines
Wet Seal said it experienced a difficult fourth-quarter
The Wet Seal has said it expects to report a larger fourth-quarter loss than previously guided, due to lower-than-expected sales and higher promotional activity.
For the 13 weeks ended 1 February, sales dropped 22.8% to US$124.8m. Like-for-like sales fell 16.5% compared to a fall of 8.3% in the comparable period last year.
CEO John Goodman said the company had experienced a difficult fourth-quarter, marked by ongoing softness in mall traffic, and a highly promotional environment throughout the teen sector. This, he said, pressured merchandise margins.
"While we did not meet our expectations for the fourth quarter, we are encouraged by progress made during the course of fiscal 2013 under our turnaround plan," he added.
The company said it now expects to report a fourth-quarter loss per diluted share, before non-cash asset impairments, of around $0.24. This compares to previously announced guidance in the range of $0.14 to $0.17.
Pacific Sunwear of California's senior vice president of women's merchandising and design, Christine Lee, has stepped down to take up a new role at The Wet Seal....
Specialty apparel retailer The Wet Seal swung to a "disappointing" loss during the first quarter, after "disruptive" weather and soft traffic dampened sales....
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- H&M calls for annual wage reviews in Bangladesh
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- Cambodia garment workers campaign for higher wages
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- Child labour products still entering US from China
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020