US: Wet Seal warns of larger Q4 loss on sales declines
Wet Seal said it experienced a difficult fourth-quarter
The Wet Seal has said it expects to report a larger fourth-quarter loss than previously guided, due to lower-than-expected sales and higher promotional activity.
For the 13 weeks ended 1 February, sales dropped 22.8% to US$124.8m. Like-for-like sales fell 16.5% compared to a fall of 8.3% in the comparable period last year.
CEO John Goodman said the company had experienced a difficult fourth-quarter, marked by ongoing softness in mall traffic, and a highly promotional environment throughout the teen sector. This, he said, pressured merchandise margins.
"While we did not meet our expectations for the fourth quarter, we are encouraged by progress made during the course of fiscal 2013 under our turnaround plan," he added.
The company said it now expects to report a fourth-quarter loss per diluted share, before non-cash asset impairments, of around $0.24. This compares to previously announced guidance in the range of $0.14 to $0.17.
Beleaguered teen apparel retailer The Wet Seal has become the first major casualty of 2015 to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection....
Fast fashion retailer The Wet Seal is closing 338 stores with immediate effect, leading to the loss of 3,695 full and part-time jobs....
Fashion retailer The Wet Seal recorded a wider third-quarter net loss as sales continued to decline across the business....
Beleaguered business The Wet Seal has assembled a team to identify and analyse potential strategic and financial alternatives....
Beleaguered business The Wet Seal has appointed company executive Thomas Hillebrandt to the role of interim chief financial officer....
Clinton Group, a shareholder of beleaguered business The Wet Seal, has written to the firm's board seeking clarification on its liquidity and suggesting options to shore up its balance sheet....
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Under Armour makes lifestyle push with new brand
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- LVMH to sell Donna Karan to G-III for US$650m
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020