US: Wet Seal warns of larger Q4 loss on sales declines
Wet Seal said it experienced a difficult fourth-quarter
The Wet Seal has said it expects to report a larger fourth-quarter loss than previously guided, due to lower-than-expected sales and higher promotional activity.
For the 13 weeks ended 1 February, sales dropped 22.8% to US$124.8m. Like-for-like sales fell 16.5% compared to a fall of 8.3% in the comparable period last year.
CEO John Goodman said the company had experienced a difficult fourth-quarter, marked by ongoing softness in mall traffic, and a highly promotional environment throughout the teen sector. This, he said, pressured merchandise margins.
"While we did not meet our expectations for the fourth quarter, we are encouraged by progress made during the course of fiscal 2013 under our turnaround plan," he added.
The company said it now expects to report a fourth-quarter loss per diluted share, before non-cash asset impairments, of around $0.24. This compares to previously announced guidance in the range of $0.14 to $0.17.
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry....
Beleaguered teen apparel retailer The Wet Seal has become the first major casualty of 2015 to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection....
Fast fashion retailer The Wet Seal is closing 338 stores with immediate effect, leading to the loss of 3,695 full and part-time jobs....
Fashion retailer The Wet Seal recorded a wider third-quarter net loss as sales continued to decline across the business....
Beleaguered business The Wet Seal has assembled a team to identify and analyse potential strategic and financial alternatives....
Beleaguered business The Wet Seal has appointed company executive Thomas Hillebrandt to the role of interim chief financial officer....
Clinton Group, a shareholder of beleaguered business The Wet Seal, has written to the firm's board seeking clarification on its liquidity and suggesting options to shore up its balance sheet....
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Outlook 2015: What keeps you awake at night?
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- C&A to boost opportunities for women in India
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead