US: Wholesale gains boost Steve Madden Q4 profit
- Q4 net profit up 8.2% to US$35.7m
- Q4 net sales rise 8.7% to $342.9m
- Wholesale growth offset by retail decline
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden saw its fourth quarter profit boosted by a strong wholesale performance at the end of 2013.
Retail comps were down 6.7% in the last three months of the year, but wholesale revenues rose 10.6% and total retail sales edged up 1.7%.
That left the US company with full-year sales up 7.1% to $1.3bn and net income rising 10.4% to $132m.
However, gross margin for the fourth quarter was 37.8%, down from 39.3% a year earlier thanks to a sales mix shift to lower-margin private label business and increased retail promotions.
“We are pleased to have delivered solid sales and earnings growth in the fourth quarter despite a challenging retail environment,” said Edward Rosenfeld, Steve Madden chairman and CEO.
“While our retail segment performance was below expectation, we recorded another strong quarter in our wholesale business.”
The company expects fiscal 2014 net sales to rise 5-7%, giving diluted earnings per share of $2.05-2.15.
US fashion footwear and accessories business Steve Madden has acquired Dolce Vita Holdings, a designer and retailer of branded and private label footwear, for US$60.3m....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Footwear in US$ Million and Million Pairs by the following Product Categories/Segments: Athletic Footwear (Aerobic, Baseball, Basketball, Cricket, Cross-...
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden has highlighted what was a "difficult" second-quarter for the group after booking a decline in earnings and sales....
Juicy Couture owner Authentic Brands Group is to shutter all of the apparel brand's US stores as it plans an overhaul of the business....
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Wool makes a comeback as a 21st century fibre
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report