US: Wholesale gains boost Steve Madden Q4 profit
- Q4 net profit up 8.2% to US$35.7m
- Q4 net sales rise 8.7% to $342.9m
- Wholesale growth offset by retail decline
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden saw its fourth quarter profit boosted by a strong wholesale performance at the end of 2013.
Retail comps were down 6.7% in the last three months of the year, but wholesale revenues rose 10.6% and total retail sales edged up 1.7%.
That left the US company with full-year sales up 7.1% to $1.3bn and net income rising 10.4% to $132m.
However, gross margin for the fourth quarter was 37.8%, down from 39.3% a year earlier thanks to a sales mix shift to lower-margin private label business and increased retail promotions.
“We are pleased to have delivered solid sales and earnings growth in the fourth quarter despite a challenging retail environment,” said Edward Rosenfeld, Steve Madden chairman and CEO.
“While our retail segment performance was below expectation, we recorded another strong quarter in our wholesale business.”
The company expects fiscal 2014 net sales to rise 5-7%, giving diluted earnings per share of $2.05-2.15.
US fashion footwear and accessories business Steve Madden has acquired Dolce Vita Holdings, a designer and retailer of branded and private label footwear, for US$60.3m....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Footwear in US$ Million and Million Pairs by the following Product Categories/Segments: Athletic Footwear (Aerobic, Baseball, Basketball, Cricket, Cross-...
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden has highlighted what was a "difficult" second-quarter for the group after booking a decline in earnings and sales....
Juicy Couture owner Authentic Brands Group is to shutter all of the apparel brand's US stores as it plans an overhaul of the business....
- New wage ladder lifts workers towards living wages
- US retailers to face logistics issues into 2015
- New scenarios driving sustainability in textiles
- African apparel sector needs cooperation to thrive
- UK fashion sector prospects depend on partnerships
- Bangladesh worker dies as factory boiler ruptures
- Eight footwear factories lead on social compliance
- Global unions join forces on apparel wage poverty
- US firms eye Vietnam footwear growth ahead of TPP
- J Crew embarks on new expansion phase