US: Wholesale gains boost Steve Madden Q4 profit
- Q4 net profit up 8.2% to US$35.7m
- Q4 net sales rise 8.7% to $342.9m
- Wholesale growth offset by retail decline
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden saw its fourth quarter profit boosted by a strong wholesale performance at the end of 2013.
Retail comps were down 6.7% in the last three months of the year, but wholesale revenues rose 10.6% and total retail sales edged up 1.7%.
That left the US company with full-year sales up 7.1% to $1.3bn and net income rising 10.4% to $132m.
However, gross margin for the fourth quarter was 37.8%, down from 39.3% a year earlier thanks to a sales mix shift to lower-margin private label business and increased retail promotions.
“We are pleased to have delivered solid sales and earnings growth in the fourth quarter despite a challenging retail environment,” said Edward Rosenfeld, Steve Madden chairman and CEO.
“While our retail segment performance was below expectation, we recorded another strong quarter in our wholesale business.”
The company expects fiscal 2014 net sales to rise 5-7%, giving diluted earnings per share of $2.05-2.15.
US fashion footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden has purchased boot maker Blondo's intellectual property assets from Regence Footwear and 3074153 Canada....
US fashion footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden has revealed flat sales in its fourth-quarter, below expectations, and lowered its EPS guidance for the full year....
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Colombia faces challenges in fashion export drive
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Ethiopia textile and apparel exports lagging
- Hanesbrands Q4 performance “disappoints”
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024