US: Wholesale gains boost Steve Madden Q4 profit
- Q4 net profit up 8.2% to US$35.7m
- Q4 net sales rise 8.7% to $342.9m
- Wholesale growth offset by retail decline
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden saw its fourth quarter profit boosted by a strong wholesale performance at the end of 2013.
Retail comps were down 6.7% in the last three months of the year, but wholesale revenues rose 10.6% and total retail sales edged up 1.7%.
That left the US company with full-year sales up 7.1% to $1.3bn and net income rising 10.4% to $132m.
However, gross margin for the fourth quarter was 37.8%, down from 39.3% a year earlier thanks to a sales mix shift to lower-margin private label business and increased retail promotions.
“We are pleased to have delivered solid sales and earnings growth in the fourth quarter despite a challenging retail environment,” said Edward Rosenfeld, Steve Madden chairman and CEO.
“While our retail segment performance was below expectation, we recorded another strong quarter in our wholesale business.”
The company expects fiscal 2014 net sales to rise 5-7%, giving diluted earnings per share of $2.05-2.15.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Footwear in US$ Million and Million Pairs by the following Product Categories/Segments: Athletic Footwear (Aerobic, Baseball, Basketball, Cricket, Cross-...
US fashion footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden has purchased boot maker Blondo's intellectual property assets from Regence Footwear and 3074153 Canada....
US fashion footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden has revealed flat sales in its fourth-quarter, below expectations, and lowered its EPS guidance for the full year....
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Performance apparel set for continued growth
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Sears Holdings cuts 115 corporate jobs
- H&M Q4 mixed but plans 400 new stores
- JC Penney to close 10 Foundry stores
- UK clothing sales see strongest rise in two years
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead