US: Wholesale gains boost Steve Madden Q4 profit
- Q4 net profit up 8.2% to US$35.7m
- Q4 net sales rise 8.7% to $342.9m
- Wholesale growth offset by retail decline
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden saw its fourth quarter profit boosted by a strong wholesale performance at the end of 2013.
Retail comps were down 6.7% in the last three months of the year, but wholesale revenues rose 10.6% and total retail sales edged up 1.7%.
That left the US company with full-year sales up 7.1% to $1.3bn and net income rising 10.4% to $132m.
However, gross margin for the fourth quarter was 37.8%, down from 39.3% a year earlier thanks to a sales mix shift to lower-margin private label business and increased retail promotions.
“We are pleased to have delivered solid sales and earnings growth in the fourth quarter despite a challenging retail environment,” said Edward Rosenfeld, Steve Madden chairman and CEO.
“While our retail segment performance was below expectation, we recorded another strong quarter in our wholesale business.”
The company expects fiscal 2014 net sales to rise 5-7%, giving diluted earnings per share of $2.05-2.15.
US fashion footwear and accessories business Steve Madden has acquired Dolce Vita Holdings, a designer and retailer of branded and private label footwear, for US$60.3m....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Footwear in US$ Million and Million Pairs by the following Product Categories/Segments: Athletic Footwear (Aerobic, Baseball, Basketball, Cricket, Cross-...
Footwear and accessories specialist Steve Madden has highlighted what was a "difficult" second-quarter for the group after booking a decline in earnings and sales....
Juicy Couture owner Authentic Brands Group is to shutter all of the apparel brand's US stores as it plans an overhaul of the business....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre