USA: Wilsons Leather Reports 8.7% Increase in May Sales
Wilsons The Leather Experts Inc. (NASDAQ: WLSN) today reported that sales for the four weeks ended May 27, 2000 increased 8.7% to $18.8 million compared to $17.3 million last year. Comparable store sales increased 0.6% compared to a 14.4% increase last year. Year-to-date sales increased 10.6% to $109.1 million from $98.6 million one year ago. Year-to-date comparable store sales increased 6.0% on top of a 10.3% increase for the same four month period in 1999. Joel Waller, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "Our Spring merchandise performed well for the month. This success was somewhat offset by lower sales of clearance merchandise compared to last year, due to fewer clearance goods on hand as a result of our strong sales performance for the past several months. We therefore anticipate increased second quarter gross margins compared to last year, and our inventories are well positioned as we begin to build momentum for the upcoming Fall season." Wilsons Leather is the leading specialty retailer of leather outerwear, apparel and accessories in the United States. As of May 27, 2000, Wilsons Leather operated 539 retail stores in 44 states, Canada and England, including 446 mall stores, 64 outlet stores, and 29 airport locations. The Company, which regularly supplements its permanent mall stores with temporary holiday stores during its peak selling season from October through December, operated 249 of these stores in 1999. Additionally, the Company's e-commerce site at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report