UK: Woad Could Make Comeback As Textile Dye
Woad could be making a comeback as an environmentally friendly alternative to contemporary textile dyes, according to research carried out by Bristol University's Dr Kerry Gilbert.Ms Gilbert said: "Woad won't be a cheap alternative to other dyes, but it should be on level terms with them and its quality will be as good as indigo sourced from other products. We will be looking at how to reduce the impurities in woad-based dyes over the next three years."If the project proves successful, she said that there is no reason why woad should not become a commercially viable product.London-based designers Rebecca Early, whose clothes sell in Harvey Nichols and Liberty's, and Gary Page, former Red Or Dead designer, are working with Dr Gilbert to create exhibits for the lottery-funded Eden Project. Jeans and denim companies have also expressed interest in the research, although Dr Gilbert could not give further details.The first phase of research, which cost £1.2m and was funded by research institutions and textile and ink companies, came to an end on September 30. However, the EU has now provided funding for a three-year research project.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report