UK: Woad Could Make Comeback As Textile Dye
Woad could be making a comeback as an environmentally friendly alternative to contemporary textile dyes, according to research carried out by Bristol University's Dr Kerry Gilbert.Ms Gilbert said: "Woad won't be a cheap alternative to other dyes, but it should be on level terms with them and its quality will be as good as indigo sourced from other products. We will be looking at how to reduce the impurities in woad-based dyes over the next three years."If the project proves successful, she said that there is no reason why woad should not become a commercially viable product.London-based designers Rebecca Early, whose clothes sell in Harvey Nichols and Liberty's, and Gary Page, former Red Or Dead designer, are working with Dr Gilbert to create exhibits for the lottery-funded Eden Project. Jeans and denim companies have also expressed interest in the research, although Dr Gilbert could not give further details.The first phase of research, which cost £1.2m and was funded by research institutions and textile and ink companies, came to an end on September 30. However, the EU has now provided funding for a three-year research project.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar